Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nena_bella9800 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2011, 01:40 PM
    Birth control help!
    Hello, I new at using the Nuvaring, and for some reason I thought you had to take it out and replace it weekly like the birth control patch. So for the past 3 Saturdays I've been inserting and removing the ring. This past Friday my hubby and I had sex and I took the ring out Saturday. I just now realized that it's a 3 week in and 1 week out thing. Pretty much I used a 3 month supply in 3 weeks. What are my chances that I was fully protected the last 3 weeks? I feel so stupid :(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 29, 2011, 02:32 PM
    I think your protection was just about nil the way you were inserting, taking out and re-inserting. How did you get that so messed up? Weren't the instructions specific.

I don't know what to tell you now, other then when you find you aren't pregnant, then start all over again, but you had better keep an eye open and use some pregnancy tests.

Tick
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 29, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Considering that no form of birth control is 100% even when used correctly, I'd say that your protection wasn't what you thought, since you wouldn't have been completely protected even had you used it correctly, you are even less protected since you did not use it correctly.

Now it's just a matter of waiting to see what happens and realizing that even with the birth control, even when you start using it properly, pregnancy is still possible, although less likely.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 29, 2011, 07:10 PM
    I would agree that you had little protection. It is of course not 100 percent effective when used properly and used for one full month properly before use.

So since
    1. you did not use it properly
    2. you did not use it a full month to get into the effects fully
    3. you had completely unprotected sex

You have greatly increased your odds of pregnancy, now it is just a waiting game

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth defects caused by birth control? [ 1 Answers ]

I was taking birth control pills then went to switch my birth control to the implanon that is inserted in your arm about a week ago, yesterday I learned I was pregneat, is there a chance of birth defects?

Taken off birth control, possibly conceived, back on birth control? [ 9 Answers ]

So, the day my period ended I ended up having unprotected sex, and a week later started feeling really sick to my stomach, I could smell everything, I had horrible headaches, I couldn't find anything I wanted to eat, I was moody all the time, all the typical signs, except no missed period. I took a...

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

I missed my monthly cycle for March. I am not pregnant because I have not had sex. My doctor said it was okay to start my birth control pills!! I am starting the BCP"s on March 30th---what if my cycle starts around April 9th---!! Bascially, I just need to make sure I won't become pregnant!! I just...

Birth Control [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here it goes I had to stop taking my birth control about 2 months ago because I make too much money so my medicaid was taken away so anyway I don't know if I am stressed or just paranoid or what but I came on my cycle twice in November and the last time I had my cycle was Dec 5 and I haven't had...

View more questions Search