Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dgallen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2011, 05:40 AM
    Am I being followed by a ghost, spirit or thing continued..
    I want to start by thanking all of you whom answered my previous question (see link https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/paranormal-phenomena/am-being-followed-ghost-spirit-thing-472245.html?similar=1&rep=0). I found the range of answers offered enlightening. They ranged from the not so paranormal (warming and cooling of the house causing bumps in the night); to the suggestion of some sort of guardian or even the proposal of something a little more malevolent.

It is now a year later, I have since moved house and the phenomena still persists. For as long as I can remember I have had the feeling that something / things have been following me, which have manifested themselves in the form of bumps, bangs and the sounds of movement around the house with the occasional sighting of a shape or figure and the moving of objects.

I have always attributed the bumps and bangs to a phenomenon that has been documented within parapsychology, such as telephone telepathy. When an individual correctly guesses who is about to call them, this becomes a significant point in time for that person, that they can later recall with ease. The previous 30 calls that they did not guess correctly are less significant and are less likely to be remembered, leaving the individual with a sense that they have the latent ability of telepathy. In essence by one attributing bumps and bangs to unearthly phenomena, one looks for evidence where it doesn't necessarily exist. However on the back of advice from my previous post, myself and my partner decided to see if we can make contact to put this all to rest. Although recorded on my phone you can clearly hear me ask “is there anyone in the room with us?” “Can you make a noise?” “Can you move something?” After asking these questions a second time there was a loud bang on the ceiling! After we had calmed from the excitement / shock we attempted to replicate our findings a second time to no avail. Could this have been purely coincidental..

Following our attempt to make contact, events around the house seemed to intensify, whether this was simply due to our senses around the house being heightened due to the shock of the above events, I can't say for sure. These phenomena however are not subject to noises alone.
    Just before we were about to move house we were looking for a DVD which contained pictures and videos of my partners Dad who had previously passed away a few years before of leukaemia. Understanding how precious this was to my partner I knew exactly where I filed the DVD, which I could no longer find; causing great distress to my partner. As we began to pack to move house we emptied all the draws of the filing cabinet where we had previously kept the DVD, allowing us to take the draws out for easy transport as it was very heavy. When unpacking at our new house we put the empty draws back in the filing cabinet. As we began to unpack our boxes we jokingly had a laugh about how my ghost was hiding in one of the boxes, we opened the filing cabinet to put back our documentation, to find at the bottom of the draw the DVD. Although this could possibly be logically explained away, we both had the feeling that we were being sent a message.

More recently I came back from work; entering the porch I looked up the hall seeing the leg and shoulder of a solid figure wearing white sticking out from the doorway of the lounge. Thinking this was my partner on the phone I continued to take off my shoes. As I entered the study my partner was sat at her laptop, after asking her what she was doing in the lounge she stated she had been at her laptop for over an hour. I looked around the lounge and porch to see if there was a logical explanation to what I had seen; my findings however were less conclusive.
    As events have begun to escalate my partner has become increasingly reluctant to talk about what is happening. I know little of the spiritual world and have always tried to explain my experiences in the physical world; however this is becoming increasingly difficult. These phenomena predominantly feel harmless however there are times when we are made to feel scared.

I try to keep an open mind and would appreciate others opinions. Should I continue to ignore such events and continue to pass them off as the natural movements of the house or figments of my own imagination? If we are to presume that this is something spiritual should I be concerned? Someone posted that I should not show fear, why? How do I know if this is a ghost, guardian, angel or something more malevolent? What should I do next?

Sorry for such a long post, I feel it only fair to take the time when writing such as post if people are going to take the time to read and respond.

Thank you in advance and I appreciate that you are only giving your opinion.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 7, 2011, 07:48 AM
    My one and only concern is for your relationship with your partner, who could possibly be getting tired of it, and I'd guess that you don't want her to get tired of you.

I'd suggest that you read The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, which isn't nearly as weighty as the title suggests. It's considered by many to be sort of fringe science, but it seems like a heck of a lot of people in the sciences have read it, and it does have some fascinating notions about consciousness as a subject by itself, as well as a theory that 'hallucinations' were part of every day life until sometime in the not too distant past, but now only a few people have them.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 07:54 AM

Paranormal is multifaceted. Just because you see an entity doesn't necessarily mean that it means you harm. All depends on how you feel when you believe you see. If you feel frightened, then it is not benign; if you feel peaceful then the spirit comes with good intentions and is usually someone passed over who doesn't know they are supposed to be gone; someone closely connected to you or or family. It is our responsibility to give them closure so they can go completely over.

When you saw the white figure in the doorway, how did you feel? That is the issue really.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgallen View Post

I try to keep an open mind and would appreciate others opinions. Should I continue to ignore such events and continue to pass them off as the natural movements of the house or figments of my own imagination? If we are to presume that this is something spiritual should I be concerned? Someone posted that I should not show fear, why? How do I know if this is a ghost, guardian, angel or something more malevolent? What should I do next?
    I don't know what they meant by 'not showing fear'; we are not dealing with a rabid dog here if you know what I mean. If the spirit were malevolent, then you would certainly feel gut wrenching fear when encountering it and that is what it would intend.

What do you do next? Absolutely nothing. There is nothing you can do but go on with your day to day activities and downplay it with your partner so they don't get freaked out too.

I am waiting for HauntingHelper's opinion here.

Tick
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Aug 7, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Dgallen, your experiences are more common than you may realize. Although I wasn't an active member at the time of your original post I did have a chance to read it and thank you for posting it for reference. As you said you are an atheist, I can understand your confusion and interest in what is going in your life. Here we have the classic case of someone who doesn't believe in the spirit realm coming face to face with spiritual manifestations. In some of these posts you've been told to tell it to stop and it has to obey. I'm sure you're quick to realize that's not true. You've also been told to ignore it... after a lifetime of this I'm sure you've tried your share of ignoring. I think the biggest concern I have of those dealing with paranormal phenomena is that whether the entity is "malevolent" or not. There are areas of harm that go beyond just the physical (scratches, bruises, bites, etc... ). One doesn't need their head to spin around or hear the famous "GET OUT!" before they know it is something that means them harm. Since this thing has been with you for so long you can look at it as a guardian... but that is really just a form of possession... it's watching over you because it sees you as it's own if that makes more sense. Even the term angel won't clarify much for you because there are "fallen" angels out there as well. I know you are an atheist, but I have to be up front with you and tell you that I believe the Bible covers all we need to know in this subject and I have absolutely found it to be true in this area. Just because you are not overcome with fear does not mean this thing doesn't have the worst in mind for you. We are warned in the New Testament that Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light... so of course his servants will do as much. He is deceptive above all else, not up front and transparent. There are many many reasons this spirit could be in your life. They can be invited, they can follow family generations, they can be allowed in due to some spiritual legality... and that is how they operate, on spiritual legalities. To really understand demonology and spiritual phenomena you have to understand how and where they have rights and authorities. Now really according to your question it just seems you want to know what is going on. Well, simply put I believe it IS a spirit in your life and I do believe it to be deceptive at the LEAST. Why they manifest the way they do is something we will probably never know. Things disappearing, sounds, voices, apparitions... it might simply be to let people be aware of their presence. Are you in danger of being attacked by this thing? Probably not... you've gone this far with it with no incident (haven't you?). You now know it seems to follow you so I wouldn't recommend moving to get away.

It seems you are at a crossroads with this entity... do you just seek to understand what it is... or do you seek to remove it from your life? Understanding what they are can be simple and complex at the same time. Knowing it's ultimate intentions really should be enough for you to understand that isn't not something you want hanging around... knowing how and why they do certain things can get pretty complex and really isn't in the "need to know" category. Having it removed is always an option and I want you to know there is ALWAYS hope dealing with the spirit world... BUT that is something that has to be taken very seriously and it really needs to be fully understood before attempted (in most cases). Of course there is more I could say in this post, but I thought this might be a good starter.

Tickle - I'm flattered you are at least curious what I have to say ;)
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Aug 31, 2011, 02:33 PM
    I was really hoping for a response in this thread. It was a great subject and am sorry I missed the original post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ghost/spirit [ 3 Answers ]

Yes it has been going on for quit sometime time frame I'm not sure I haven't always thought of ghost and spirits and it's not always in one particular house like stuff has happened when I lived at my parents always blew it off being the older brother didn't want my little brothers scared so always...

Is there a spirit/ghost following us? [ 5 Answers ]

Everywhere me and my son go there always seems to be paranormal things happening that are just too much to be nothing when we lived in our old place it got so bad we had to have a vicar round to bless the place. Wed had photos taken off walls and laid flat, rocking horse going on its own, the same...

I think there is some ghost or spirit in my room [ 3 Answers ]

Lately things have been happening to me, like a lighter went missing, doors have been opening and closing, and I used to play the ouija board with my friends when they came over. I'm pretty sure I closed the ouija board properly, but could this have something to do with what's been going on at my...

Is there a ghost or spirit following me or trying to communicate with me ? [ 0 Answers ]

I get feelings that I'm being watched and I've heard a voice talk to me but only saying one word, I couldn't understand the word the first time. It happened again on a different night and I heard " hello ". When I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep I feel like something is watching me and I hear...

Am I being followed by a ghost / spirit / thing? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm now 28 and still experiencing the same phenomenon that I did as a child. I have continuously been followed by what I can best describe as a dark figure that likes to play tricks. 'It' or 'they' have followed me from my childhood home, to university to where I reside today with my partner. I...

View more questions Search