Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jul 24, 2011, 09:06 PM
    Cables bundled together
    An electrician hoping to do our next house was showing us a sample of his work a while ago. It was a real work of art at the panel, with bundles of wire coming down to the panel and then splitting off at regular intervals to go into the panel.

I was just reading my simplified (Canadian) code book and read about derating cables that are bundled together. If conductors are in contact with each other for more than 24", then they have to be derated. The derating depends on the number of conductors. For example, 7-24 conductors derate the current carrying capatiy to 70% of original.

I understand the major circuits should be installed on their own, but if we install more than 6 conducts of plugs/ lights circuits (say two 14/2 and one 14/3) in a single run could the inspector say that the cable sizes are not big enough? I've never heard of that... but the rules are written that way.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 04:08 AM
    Really depends on the amp rating of the insulation and conductors.

If NM cable is used, usually the conductors are rated 190 Deg C, and the amp rating in that column can be used. For example, #14 is rated 25 amps at 190 Deg C.

With a 15 amp breaker on #14 wire, the derating will not be an issue,as 70 % of 25 amps is 17.5 amps.

Whenever possible, try not to bundle cables.

Homes are not usually an issue, as it is unlikely that all conducotrs will be loaded 100%.

Consult with your inspector to see what he will require.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jul 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
    Thanks - those de-rating calculations help a lot in understanding this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is SP1 bundled in any other Service Pack [ 4 Answers ]

I need to download SP1 to enable my computer to recognise CD Drive. I am using windows xp home edition. My motherboard disc cannot load my cd drive without SP1. Is there a workaround for this. Cheers.

The cables of my ac are torn by my dog how can I change the cables? [ 2 Answers ]

The cables of my ac are torn by my dog how can I change does electrical cables?

Electrical Cables [ 1 Answers ]

Instead of using 2runs of 2Core 300Sqmm ( Legth - 1km ) cable for single phase load ( Phase & Neutral ) , can we use 1 run of 4 Core 300sqmm cable (Length -1 Km ) for the same load with 2core for Phase and 2 cores for neutral.

Repair of SE Cables [ 3 Answers ]

Are there recommendations that cover the repair of frayed Type SE conductors? I have seen many service entrance cables in bad shape, and some are so old where the insulation is very brittle. I understand that the code now calls for them to be sunlight resistant too.

View more questions Search