Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whisky4 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Insulation in roof
    Hi,this whisky4 I have a 1924 craftsman house I in the process of refurbishing,I will be doing the roof,i.e. new sheeting,shingles,insulation, my question is when I do the insulation will it be best to put soffit vents down by the eaves and how many,also how much blown in insulation materail is best to put in as far as thickness i.e. 6"or12",also will be doing under the house,what is the best insulation to put between floor joiststhank,s whisky4
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Insulation requirements vary in different parts off the country. My rule of thumb in below zero Illinois is to use as much insulation as I can properly fit into the opening. Your roof/attic does need venting but you can't just add vents at the soffit. You also need to allow the air to rise and exit the roof at a high point. A good roofer will tell you more about ridge vents and the like but you need both. Be very careful to not let the new insulation block the air flow where the soffit and the rafters meet near the exterior surface of the house. You must mainatin an opening about the size of a shoebox in each opening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Insulation questions [ 1 Answers ]

We are having a steel home built, with a white roof. Anyone out there have experience to share about insulation? The building will come with 3 inches of insulation. Is radiant barrier more effective under the roof, or over the living space? What about dust collecting on the barrier if it...

Insulation of an A-frame roof [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We live in a 4 story A-frame with a huge roof surface area. The rafters of the roof are only 8". Seems to me that there is a lot of heat escaping thru the roof. The rooms can get cold. I'm toying with the idea of adding false walls and ceiling to the rooms. I would leave the...

Insulation [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of Massachusetts,so it very cold here.when I take the old window out and the weight of the window what type of insulation should I put in the gap inside. Thanks

Insulation [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the pros and cons are to putting insulation on the ceiling of a basement. The reason for my asking is someone has told me that it isn't wise because cold air doesn't rise anyways(I already knew that) and you would cut any heat off coming from the boiler and water heater that...

View more questions Search