Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lihi1992 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 10:00 PM
    Can I sue?
    Okay, so this morning my mom called the bank and they gave her the information about how much money was in my account and everything. I have a savings account, and I've had it since I was a kid, so is her name still on it? I don't think it would be, considering that I am eighteen. I am just curious, though, as to if they can still give her my information? Especially if her name isn't on the account? And if it isn't, can I sue them for giving out that information to someone who isn't me?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 04:42 AM

She would have had to start the account for you, in your name, so her name would still be on it, maybe not removed yet. Talk to her about having the account solely in your name. No you can't sue the bank (a big undertaking considering they have a lot more money then you). I don't think there was anything underhanded going on. Your savings account would have been gathering interest over the years, and your mom was just checking to make sure everything was okay. Have you visited your bank to find out if both names are still on the account?

Tick
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 05:06 AM

What do you want to sue them for? How were you damaged?

And, as Tickle says, unless you did the paperwork to take her off the account, chances are that she is still on it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2011, 05:21 AM

Agreed, even if her name was not on the account, there would be no grounds for a suit. But since this account was opened for you as a minor her name would have to be on it. Depending on how the account is titled, her name would not be taken off the account until she requested it.

So if you want your info private, go down to the bank and open a new account and transfer the money to it. However, unless there is an issue of trust between you, it is a good idea to have her on the account should something happen to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 08:25 AM

Her name would be on the account unless she took it off, you can not even take it off, only she can do that.
    And no it would not just drop off when you turned 18.

She should be able to even go take money out if she wanted.

You would need to go and withdraw the money and start a new bank account if you want one without her on it.
    Or have her go with you to the bank and take her name off

*** and for heavens sake, why does everyone want to SUE someone, what for,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who do I sue? [ 3 Answers ]

We are facing a pretty similar issue as most people on here but I haven't read anything as specific to some of my questions so I hope someone can help! Let me preface by saying we rented a house for about 8 months on a 1 year lease and had legal grounds to break our lease early due to extremely...

Should I sue ? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I do not think this is my topic but I've done business with Guaranteed Consumer Funding for about one year now I paid about over $700. Into this computer and never received it they told me to make 3 bi weekly payments and I'll receive my computer in three weeks that never happen.They...

Could I sue? [ 3 Answers ]

Not sure if this question is in the right spot but, I was wondering if I can sue YTB from running an illegal pyramid scheme? As they tell you when you are sighning up, its Not a MLM or a pyramid trap. After viewing matter in deth, it IS MLM and a pyramid scheme. My wife and I are asking 20...

Can I sue my ex [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a rental property during our legally marriage. My name was not on the deed due to business liability (the lawyer to me that). We got divorce and I found out the rental property was sold (I got no money for this ). Can I sue my ex for 1/2 of what the property sold for? Thanks,

Can I sue [ 9 Answers ]

My friend had his car in a parking lot they crashed it in the parking lot and offered him 4 free months instead of paying for the repairs they made a verbal agreement to let me park there since he sold his car now they crashed my car and are refusing to pay for damages and are trying to kick me out...

View more questions Search