Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beniny Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Town highway dept dumping salt/sand onto our lawn!
    I live on a road on a hill where we have a very high water table and water constantly runs off our property onto the road. During the winter months the water freezes onto the road and can cause some hazardous conditions. The road lacks a gully or some form of trench to keep this water and ice off the road. The highway dept came yesterday after salting and sanding the ice in front of our property and chopped up the ice and scooped up all the sand salt etc. and dumped it onto our lawn. They also did this last year and caused huge areas of dead grass which has not grown back. Essentially they are defacing our property. I called up the highway dept today and spoke to a secretary who answered me simply by repeating that they are allowed to clean up the road and utilize up to 10 feet onto our property by law. What should I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
    They can not use 10 ft of your property for dumping. However, the first 10-20 ft from the edge of the road usually isn't your property, it is a right of way. You should explore further with the highway department. They may be agreeable to cutting and pitching some drainage trench. Otherwise they will be wasting time and salt every time it freezes.
    beniny Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 04:47 PM
    So if it is the right of way then after they dump like they are then they should be cleaning up afterwards in early springtime right? I do agree it would certainly make more sense for them to put my tax money towards correcting the problem the right way instead of doing what they have been doing for years.

Very backward corrupt local govt in my area.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 06:35 PM
    When you are on the short end of the stick all governments seem corrupt. My road commissioner pushes about 1000 lbs of peep gravel into my frontage each winter. He refuses to remove or clean up the gravel because he says it's the county's property. Since I have to shovel up the gravel I spread it on my driveway.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 07:30 PM
    It all depends on the government right of way, the actual distance varies from road to road, county to county and state to state.

My road has about a 15 foot right of way along the major highway and about a 10 foot on the side street by my home.

That 10 foot or 15 ft is not my property, it may look like my yard, I mow it, but it is not my yard, it is the property of the state. They may come and dig up sewer pipes, and what needs to be done when they wish.

So first you have to be sure by survey they are actually on YOUR property, not merely their right of way.

If they are actually on your property, you may file suit for damages against them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Town highway dept dumping sand/salt on my lawn! [ 2 Answers ]

I live on a road on a hill where we have a very high water table and water constantly runs off our property onto the road. During the winter months the water freezes onto the road and can cause some hazardous conditions. The road lacks a gully or some form of trench to keep this water and ice...

Outstanding dept of $85,000 [ 2 Answers ]

I have an outstanding dept of $85,000. I will be working in another country for a while is there anyway they can attack my bank account if it's in another country?

Atoms in grain of sand [ 2 Answers ]

Estimate the number of atoms in a grain of sand. Assume the grain is a 0.25mm (on each side) cube and that average distance between atoms is 10^-10m. Please help me answer this question I have a lot of trouble solving it. Can u show the steps too. Thank you sooo much.

Question about dumping [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all, This is my first post here and I need a little bit of advice from you all. I recently met a girl on an online dating site, and we had spoken quite a lot a week or so before first meeting. We seemed to get along great. However, when we met in person, she was not exactly what I was...

Morter vs Sand Mix [ 3 Answers ]

What's the difference between morter and sand mix? While I'm asking there is type N and Type S morter. My application is building a concrete shower curb and base, to eventually be tiled. Thanks

View more questions Search