Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hansgreg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Morter vs Sand Mix
    What's the difference between morter and sand mix? While I'm asking there is type N and Type S morter. My application is building a concrete shower curb and base, to eventually be tiled.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2005, 02:13 PM
    Maybe a weak answer is better than none at all. I think sand mix is just that, mortar with sand already mixed in it. It should be cheaper per pound, and is ready to go. Mortar is great for larger jobs, dump a bag of mortar, a few shovels of sand, and the water in the mixer and let it go. I think the different types of mortar have different ratios of portland cement and lime in them, the one producing a stronger mortar. For a small job like yours, buy the sand mix.

We could use somebody here that knows a little more about this than I do.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2005, 04:05 PM
    Will you be putting in your own shower pan under the morter?
    hansgreg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2005, 08:06 AM
    Shower Pan
    Yes, if I understand the question... We used sand mix. Built a frame of 2x6's on the outside of the curb. Poured the floor over the pan liner. And used real dry mix to form the curb (so it would hold it's shape on the inside corner).

There is definitely a difference between sand mix and mortar. We used mortar for the pre-pan (the cement under the liner). IT was much more difficult to work with because it was sticky, and took forever to set. The sand mix acted like you would expect concrete to act.

If I find a good explanation of the different types of mortar I will post it here.

Thanks!

I don't know why I didn't try this Friday! I searched for "type N mortar" and found all kinds of info... From what I read...
    Sand mix has no lime. Mortar has varying amounts of lime in the mix.
    Here is the link to one of the sites I found, detailing the formulas.

http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/Bl...p?iNum=fra0104

I also found a site where they talk about deck mud and fat mud specifically for shower curb and pan applications. Basically sand mix for the pan, and mortar for the curb... I have a professional tiler friend that told me to use sand mix. HE said don't use mortar. I hope it's OK to quote another help site. Here is what they say...
    http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...723#post103723

I do know from personal experience that all mortar is not the same. We recently did a stone fireplace, with mortar purchased from the stone manufacturer. It worked much better that the mortar we purchased at the local home center when we ran out of the "good stuff".

I hope that I have "given back" to this forum, for all the help I have received here.

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Atoms in grain of sand [ 2 Answers ]

Estimate the number of atoms in a grain of sand. Assume the grain is a 0.25mm (on each side) cube and that average distance between atoms is 10^-10m. Please help me answer this question I have a lot of trouble solving it. Can u show the steps too. Thank you sooo much.

Morter removal [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove morter from fire place brick pavers .

View more questions Search