Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buzmama25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 08:27 PM
    Insurance claims refused
    I filed a claim for my roof that was done 3 yrs ago but this winter we had a bad snow storm and the roof leaked damaged one of the bedrooms and created a whole and is now leaking into other rooms , the insurance company I have had for 25yrs and never filed a claim refused to pay for the roof, they state the roofer did shotty work. What do I do now
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2011, 03:36 AM

Sue the roofer. The insurance carrier was probably correct. Your insurance covers damage due to causes beyond your control. Shoddy work is the fault of the person doing the work. You will need to have an expert testify that it was shoddy.

Jun 15, 2011, 04:27 AM
    My roofer that repaired my roof is deceased and I can no longer find out about his company, what can I do about this who do I call, I don't have the money to fix the roof but the condition is affecting the entire house mold is starting to set in and I live in the house w eldery parents help me someone
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2011, 04:49 AM

I'm sorry, but there is little you can do. If you have no way of suing the roofer, you need to get it fixed. You can try suing your insurer, but this is generally not covered by homeowner's insurance.

And you can't wait for any insurance settlement. You have to do it now and hope for reimbursement.

Jun 15, 2011, 05:32 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Where does one find money for an emergency such as big as the roof, I am all taped out of money due to the repairs done already to the house
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2011, 03:40 PM

You can go to your bank and try to get the home refinanced and using some of the extra money to repair the roof.

Roofers can do shoddy work and get away with it for years until the roof fails. You should have gotten many different quotes for the roof repair and then chose the roofer that was licensed and insured. Had that happened then you could have gone after his insurance carrier for the shoddy work. Now you just up a creek without a paddle and no one to sue. Sorry.
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Aug 3, 2011, 06:07 PM

Contact your Congressional State Representative, and also your state's Insurance Commissioner. There are solutions to such problems! In fact, that is one of the main reasons Insurance Commissioner Offices exist!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 08:00 PM

Sue anyway. Your roofer had insurance when he did the job so look in that direction. Also, see if his estate is still open and if there are any assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPP insurance company refused to pay me. [ 1 Answers ]

I left my phone at the back of my office while I was serving customers at the shop. After 15 minutes I realised that the phone disappeared. I made the claim to the CPP insurance company which refused on the basis that I left the phone unattended in a public place. Is my office consider a public...

Insurance claims [ 1 Answers ]

There is a doctor in my area who sees patients in one office but has his staff file insurance claims through a second office under a different provider number, as if they were seen at the second location. Is this a HIPAA violation?

USAA refused me homeowners insurance [ 7 Answers ]

USAA refused me homeowners insurance because they found a five year old credit card debt of mine that they had written off (5 years ago). I have been (and currently am) a USAA member for 40 years and have had active auto insurnce with them all that time. The cc debt is apparently $6,000. ...

View more questions Search