Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susuba Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Does anybody know a lot about landlord/tennant leases?
    Hi, my husband, son and I live in an apartment complex and it is not what they said it was.
    There are roaches and God knows what else, every window but one is missing its screen, my sons bedroom window has no lock on it, ( he's two mind you), the management team never answers their phone, and when they do they send out idiot mantenence men to fix stuff. None of the outlets work right in here, the plugs fall out of them. When there's a blackout, there are no back up lights in the hallways or parking lots. And to top it all off, we have people downstairs from us who blast music at all hours of the day so loud that it makes our floors shake. I need to know if there is any way we can get out of this lease ( we signed it on July 1, 2006 and it doesn't end until July 31, 2007 ) without having to pay the 3 month penalty fee. Any help would b appreciated. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Did they show you another apartment, when you looked at it prior to signing the lease ?

If you inspected the apartment did it turn bad in a few months ?

Jan 27, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Hi, they showed us a model apartment, which is their office. They had us fill out a paper after we moved in that said what was damaged.

Jan 28, 2007, 10:34 PM
    What you can do is tell them that you want to see where your security is before you pay next months rent, and if they don't show u it tell them your not paying.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2007, 07:30 AM
    First, a landlord is generally required to provide a reasonably safe and healthfu environment. If you can prove they haven't, then you can move out and let them sue you for the balance of the lease.

You will have to document the problems as well as your complaints that have not been corrected.

P.S. your reply to the other poster (his questions was moved to its own thread) was incorrect. Unless the law requires an accounting of what s being done with the security (and most don't), he doesn't need to know where it is until he moves out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant or Trespasser/Guest? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of Washington. Does my ex-girlfriend who lives with me and refuses to leave, regarded legally as a tenant (has never paid rent nor any monies towards home maintainance) or a trespasser/guest? Need to know how to proceed with having her legally removed. All input is gratefully...

Hi, I need a lot of help [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Im new My period was due on dec 18. So I'm now 7 days late. I had implantation bleeding on the 11 of dec, which would be on track if I had gotten pregnant. My lmp was nov 20. I've done hpt some were positive, some were negative. This happened with my last pregnancy. So I'm not concerned...

I have a lot of discharge... [ 1 Answers ]

I Have been having discharge for the past 3 days that is strange to me. The first day it was a very little amount but it was on my underwear. I didn't think nothing of that cause sometimes that happens to me. The second day it was a little more but it looked like it had blood in it, but it was very...

30 day leases [ 1 Answers ]

If a landlord gave a 30 day lease instead of 1 year, what if any good does this do for the landlord in protecting them from bad tenants. Does the tenant absolutely have to leave with no problems if they don't pay or are trouble after 30 days or do they still have rights to stay.

View more questions Search