Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HussAhmad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 10:48 AM
    A controlling variable is a motor speed that varies from 800 to 1750 rpm.If the speed
    A controlling variable is a motor speed that varies from 800 to 1750 rpm.If the speed is controlled by a 25- to 50- v
    dc signal, calculate (a) the speed produced by an input of 38v, and (b) the speed calculated as a percent of span.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 1, 2011, 11:57 AM
    Assuming the relationship is linear, you need to write the equation of a line f(x)=mx+b, where f(x) is the rotational speed and x is the input voltage. So basically it boils down to a simple algebra problem:

Find the equation of a line passing through the points (25,800) and (50,1750). Use that equation to calculate f(38).

Presumably if you're taking physics, you learned how to do this kind of algebra several years ago. If you're stuck, post back and we'll give you further guidance.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 2, 2011, 10:39 AM

First of all, the red "No" or "Not Helpful" response is reserved for answers that are factually wrong, not responses that don't spoon-feed your homework answers to you.

Second, since this is almost certainly for homework, you should read the homework rules for this website. Volunteers are here to HELP you do your homework, not do it for you. It's a shame that my reputation as an expert gets impacted by your "not helpful" response, just because you apparently never learned to write the equation of a line.

So getting back to your question, let me write it out in excruciating detail for you:

A line is described by the equation y=mx+b, where m is the slope (a.k.a. gradient), and b is the y-intercept. The line passes through the point (25,800) because an input of 25 volts results in an output of 800 rpm. The line also passes through the point (50,1750) because an input of 50 volts results in an output of 1750 rpm. We calculate the slope as

That means for every volt increase in the control input, the output increases by 38 rpm.

Now we can find the y-intercept by simply substituting the x and y values for one of the points we know it passes through:

Thus the equation for the line is

So now, as I said, to find the output value for an input of 38 volts, just substitute 38 for the value of x.

Congratulations. You've now been shown how to do math that an average 13-year-old student could do.

Now can you calculate that as a percent of span, or are you also unable to do math for 10-year-olds?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I get a variable speed air handler or single speed? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking into getting a new heating unit - I'm looking at 2 options - the single speed - standard model - and the 2 stage variable speed model- it's a little over a $1,000 difference - but I keep hearing about the variable being worth it - I have a single story home 3 bedroom - I'm adding...

20 Hp 3Ph motor, would like to control the RPM speed. Is there a way to do this? [ 1 Answers ]

It is wired 480v. Right now aand is connected to a dust collection fan (direct drive). I need to slow it down so I can control the cfm and static pressure inside the lines.

York variable speed ac fan motor will not shutoff only slow down [ 4 Answers ]

York ac (f2fv060) variable speed air handler. Blower motor will not stop only slow down when tstat shuts ac off.Just replaced heater relay and problem started.

Goodman 95% ge variable speed motor starting problems [ 1 Answers ]

My goodman 95% furnace has themals on the blower fan they get hot and trip out.It has done this four times in the last year.I reset them and it works for a while four weeks may be and does it again. I replace the control board. Same problem now I want to replace the blower DC variable speed...

Trane air handle variable speed motor xl1200 [ 3 Answers ]

The fan hasitates to star It tries to move and the after a minute it will run. I try to set the dip swithches for no delay after running but no imprument, The problem with this is that the coil inside gets frozen since no air is circulating, I caom with a temporary solution a delay circuit on...

View more questions Search