Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    finseth Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
    8.5% Interest Rate on a Student Loan
    I have approx. 10 K in student loans at 8.5% interest and 20K at 2.7%. Does it make sense to consolidate these loans or is it better to try and pay down the 10K loan at 8.5%?

Will I be able to get a better interest rate than 8.5%. This is a private loan.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
    8.5% is high for a student loan. 2.7% is a good rate and I don't know if you will be able to match it. I would be hesitant to consolidate and lose that rate on the higher loan amount. Shop around locally and see what your options are. If you are still in school, I would go to the administration office and see if they have someone on staff who can offer advice on loan options. If you are out of school and working, stop by your human resources office and see if they have any suggestions or ideas on where you can look. If you don't have a human resource office, talk to a loan manager at your local bank. If they can't help you at the bank, they can at least give you some guidance as to where to look and what options to look for. In any event, don't give up on that 2.7% to combine the two loans into one loan with a higher rate until you run the figures on how much it would cost you at the end of the loan period.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 11:49 AM
    I will agree I am not sure you can beat that 2.7 loan, but of course you can try. You should try and find someone that would refinance the one at 8.5 because it is high for a student loan. But again you said private loan, so perhaps while you call it a student loan it is really perhaps a personal loan that the money was used for education, not truly a student loan.

But one should always check and double check for lower interst rates on all of their debts just being sure to check the true cost of the loan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interest Rate Risk [ 2 Answers ]

Consider three bonds with 8% coupon rates, all selling at face value. The short-term bond has a maturity of 4 years, the intermediate-term bond has maturity 8 years, and the long-term bond has maturity 30 years. Which web site will be helpful for me to understand more about bonds.

Student Loan Interest Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid? Thanks

Home loan interest rate [ 1 Answers ]

What are some some of the home loan interest rates now for good to average credit for fixed rate.

Student loan interest deductibility [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005, I was on F1 until Sept 30, and then my status was changed to H1B starting from Oct 1. CINTAX has determined that I had to use 1040NR-EZ to file my tax return. It said I was not eligible to claim student loan interest for my tax return since I was not in F1 visa status as of 31 Dec 2005....

Please help with Interest Rate Question [ 1 Answers ]

If a situation involves a 10% interest rate compounded semiannually for 10 years, what interest rate and number of periods would be used to compute the present value? Thanks

View more questions Search