Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Preston556 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 06:32 PM
    How do I make my faith stronger, with this disorder?
    I would like to ask, how can I make my faith in God strong again? I still believe, and have faith, but I have a disorder that serves as an ailment to most of the things in my life. I suffer of paranoid schizophrenia. It makes it very hard to separate reality from fantasy, and makes many different hallucinations present. These two together have damaged my grasp on reality. I pray before I sleep, and attend church once a week on Sundays. But I cannot register my faith in my mind, along with most everything else. What I see in a movie may as well be reality (if you get what I'm saying). What can I do to make my faith strong, like it was when I was a child, again?
    Thanks,
    ~Preston
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2011, 06:49 PM

Are you being treated for your medical condition.

May 12, 2011, 07:03 PM
    I am. But only within the last month was I officially diagnosed, I'm not sure if the process is slow or not.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston556 View Post
    I am. But only within the last month was I officially diagnosed, I'm not sure if the process is slow or not.
    One thing you can do is make your prayer life a constant thing. Once before you sleep isn't going to be enough to help you hang on. Make it like a conversation; talk to God in your mind about most everything. It doesn't require any special language or format; just talk to him. That's what I do; sometimes when I'm in a particularly big tailspin it might even include a few "off-color" terms. God doesn't care. A wise man once told me: God can answer a quick little telegram a lot faster than he can answer some of those long, drawn-out epistles.

When you're not sure what's real and what isn't, talk to the One Thing that you know is real. Hold on to that above all else.

This isn't a complete solution to your problem, but it can be a start.

Hope this helps,

May 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
    Comment on dwashbur's post
    Thank you for this great response. I will start praying more.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2011, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston556 View Post
    Depending on which meds you are taking, it could take six weeks or more for it/them to kick in and help you feel better. And the first prescription might not work well, so that you will have to try another -- and even another! -- until you find the best one for you.

A good friend is paranoid schizophrenic. She does exactly what dwashbur suggests you do -- she has a continuous, running conversation with God. Don't worry about formal prayer with "Dear God" and "In Jesus' name. Amen" and getting down on your knees or folding your hands. Just whisper to God or think your thoughts His way. Talk to Him like you would to a friend -- complain about your doctor, moan about what you had for breakfast, high-five God for the beautiful day, be excited over a good grade and make sure He hears your excitement.

I wish you well. Be sure to stay in touch with us.
    latashabrewingt Posts: 6, Reputation: -1

May 13, 2011, 05:29 PM

The lord knows what you are going through he knows where your heart is just keep doing what you doing prying and going to church he will make it easier on you
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

May 14, 2011, 09:17 AM
    Another thing just as important as prayer is knowing what scripture says about you. Anyone can pray... but it takes it to another height when you know how to pray according to God's will. It helps to know what God says about you in His revealed Word. Prayer and the bible are a must for EVERY person. You almost can't separate the two.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    when you know how to pray according to God's will.
    And that is how?

May 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
    How do you know what God's will for our lives is? By reading the bible. It is the revealed will of God toward humanity. That's how we know what God says about us. It is possible to pray wrong. The bible says that some prayers aren't answered because they are not inline with what His will is. We can pray all we want, but if it is contrary to or against what He wants to accomplish through us... we may as well not say anything at all. This aside... my point to the OP was that a more effective prayer life starts with knowing what God's word says.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 14, 2011, 11:08 AM
    How do you know what God's will for our lives is?
    God's will for me is different from what it is for you?

Does a prayer have to follow a certain format?

May 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
    Yes and no. Things like salvation or healing or deliverance... these can be applied to all of mankind. But he doesn't call everybody to be a pastor... or a missionary. This is where His will can differ from person to person. Why would a prayer have to follow a certain format?

I do have to say something about your comment above however. While we don't have to actually say "In Jesus' name...", it should be understood that by the name of Jesus is only way we have access to God the Father. That is why people pray in that manner. There is no prayer of salvation without Jesus Christ. There is no deliverance without Jesus Christ. There is no access to God apart from Jesus Christ. THAT is why it is important to pray in Jesus' name.

John 14:13-15 (New International Version)
    13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

John 16:23-24
    23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

James 4:3 (New International Version)
    3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

Although sincere, it is possible to pray wrong. I am in no way saying that Preston556 doesn't know how to pray. I just making the point that God's Word and prayer go hand in hand.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 14, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Why would a prayer have to follow a certain format?
    I was wondering if you objected to the continual conversation with God vs. the formal kneeling, hands folded, head bowed, eyes closed format of prayer.

How do you pray wrong? I know you explained that a bit, but please elaborate.

May 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Well, I like to follow what the Bible has laid out for us as an example the best.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (New King James Version)
    16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

God can hear someone just as well whether they are on their knees or standing up, whether their eyes are open or closed.

I don't know... the best thing that pops up into my head for an example could be this.
    Say someone wants to win the lottery and promises God to give a large amout to church, world hunger, etc. While seems great to us as humanity... God knows best... maybe He knows that the sudden large amount of money would destroy us... God knows we have example after example of this with people that do win tons of money. Something we can't foresee but He can. He knows we're better off without winning that money. Maybe God would know that we would start to relay on that money more than the person would rely on Him.
    This is just an example off the top of my head... but I hope it sheds more light on the situation. Even Jesus prayed "not my will but yours be done..." If we are praying outside of what God wants to be done... it will not happen by His hand. That's why it is important to know God's will.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 14, 2011, 11:53 AM
    That's why it is important to know God's will.
    But we can never fully and specifically know God's will for us. What if I buy that lottery ticket after praying hard for a winning one and then actually win? Did God allow me to win? If I don't win, did God make me lose?

I was part of a women's Wednesday morning Bible class, and we took turns watching all our pre-school kids. One day when it was my turn, a mother came in with her toddler and dug around inside her purse, looking for a little box of raisins she had packed for a snack for her child. The mother searched and searched, but couldn't find the raisins. Her comment (which she truly believed) was, "The box isn't here. God must not have wanted me to bring raisins and caused me to forget to put them into my purse."

May 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
    Haha, well, I don't doubt that story to be true one bit. There are always going to be people that read waaaay to far into things and blame everything on God. There is still such a thing as dumb luck. Yes, if I play the lottery, I do have a chance, however small it is, to win it. Just because something does happen does not mean God always has His hands in it... like the raisin box lady. There is a difference between God allowing something to happen and God making something to happen. Most of what happens is God allowing something. Can we ever know the full will of God? Probably not... as we will always need to have trust and faith in His decisions. However, the Bible does reveal enough for to have a functional and close relationship with Him.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2011, 12:22 PM

I believe the OP asked about how to strengthen his faith in the face of a very nasty disorder. That's why I suggested conversational prayer. I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow we got from that to raisins and lotteries!

Color me confused...

May 14, 2011, 12:26 PM
    Indeed. Topics do manage to get off base every now and again. I hope the OP was able to follow our little conversation back there.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    I believe the OP asked about how to strengthen his faith in the face of a very nasty disorder. That's why I suggested conversational prayer. I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow we got from that to raisins and lotteries!

Color me confused..........
    Keep up, dwashbur! We went from how formal prayer has to be to throwing in God's will for us and how that affects how we pray. It all makes sense.

May 14, 2011, 01:37 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    I didn't think we got too far off the path...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it possible to condense matter, such as gold for example, to make it stronger [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible in theory or practically. Is that part of nanotechnology? Tks

Can I make P(lay)S(tation)3 stronger? [ 7 Answers ]

Is there any possibility to make it work better?

How do I make my fingernails stronger? [ 2 Answers ]

First of all I'm a boy I like growing my fingernails and making them in2 claws,if that creeps u out judge me how u will but any suggestions would help:)

Nails.how to make them flipping stronger! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm thirteen and all I seem to care about is how I look lately, I like making a good impression of myself but my nails really let me down, I've tried nail strengthener, jelly cubes, and nothing... my nails aren't the slightest bit stronger... it takes the mick! Has anyone got any advice on how...

View more questions Search