Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    betzaleldaniel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 05:59 AM
    Is it possible to condense matter, such as gold for example, to make it stronger
    Is it possible in theory or practically. Is that part of nanotechnology?
    Tks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2011, 06:15 AM

I wonder if it compresses slightly as when a Gold Coin is Stamped.
    It makes it Harder, but is it slightly smaller? Curious too.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 07:13 AM

Do you mean: is it possible to make a pure metal like gold denser? The aswer is no - the densty of a material is a function its atomic weight and its lattice structure. Metals generally have a structure consisting of tiny amorphous "grains." You can change the grain structure through operations like cold forming (stamping) or heat treating, which can help grains bind together better and thus improve the strength or hardness of the metal. But the fundamental density of the material is unchanged.

Of course the best way to make gold stronger is to alloy it with other metals. That's why rings or other jewelry are usually made up of an alloy of gold and other metals like silver. A 12K ring is about 50% gold and is much harder and stronger than an equivalent pure 24K gold ring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I make P(lay)S(tation)3 stronger? [ 7 Answers ]

Is there any possibility to make it work better?

How do I make my fingernails stronger? [ 2 Answers ]

First of all I'm a boy I like growing my fingernails and making them in2 claws,if that creeps u out judge me how u will but any suggestions would help:)

Nails.how to make them flipping stronger! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm thirteen and all I seem to care about is how I look lately, I like making a good impression of myself but my nails really let me down, I've tried nail strengthener, jelly cubes, and nothing... my nails aren't the slightest bit stronger... it takes the mick! Has anyone got any advice on how...

View more questions Search