Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2011, 07:26 PM
    Is there copyright on graffiti?
    Strange question, but there is a particular piece of graffiti, a picture of a sort of down-at-heel angel, which I snapped and use as inspiration for my fantasy novel. If I decide to self-publish (big decision here), could I use this image, or a variation of it, as part of the cover art?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2011, 03:39 PM

If it isn't copyrighted, I don't see why not. Can you identify it on the title page's verso or on an Acknowledgments page?

Check with the reference desk at a public or college library for specific copyright information on graffiti.

Let me know when the book is available I love fantasy!
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks, I'll do that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2011, 07:00 PM

I did a little library research. Graffiti artists are traditionally and by choice anonymous. Thus, there is no copyright on their work. Also, the owners of the buildings and walls and sidewalks and other surfaces that display their graffiti have no claim on the art.

The moral thing to do would be to acknowledge the graffiti as I had mentioned earlier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Graffiti art on home [ 5 Answers ]

For a while now I have been considering covering the front wall of my home in a "graffiti art". I have a design, the cans, everything I need. However I was discussing this with a good friend and he told me that the local council would not allow this. The wall I want to paint is solely on my...

How do I copyright? [ 2 Answers ]

I've written two songs that I actually have a beat to and I'm very proud of them but I'd like to get them copyrighted so that maybe I could sing them at contests without worry of them getting stolen considering that one is one I wrote about my boyfriend.

Copyright [ 3 Answers ]

If there's a picture of someone in a public profile on a website, can I copy that picture? Can I post it? Can I use only a first name with the picture? Or is it atomatically copyrited by the person who's profile it is? Or do you have to file for a copyright on that picture?

How to copyright photos [ 3 Answers ]

How do I copyright the photos that I have taken?

View more questions Search