Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    help98hond Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 10:54 AM
    98 Honda starting problems
    OK, So I am going to replace the Main Switch Relay. If that fails I will try the ignition coil and then the ignitor. The Check Engine light came on this morning and didn't turn off. So I got to get to work to start replacing the parts on my car before it gets worst. My question is does anyone know on Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto which kind of ignition coil and ignitor to purchase? When I go to look up those parts on rockauto.com under my 98 Honda specs it brings up 3 different ignition coils and ignitors. Which one is it? I know a little about cars the basics you might say and I'll be replacing these parts myself. Which leaves me to ask also does anyone know of a website that can provide step by step directions with some illustration on how to replace the ignitor and the ignition coil for a 98 Honda? Or should I just purchase the Haynes Manual?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Read sections A and B in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ics-46563.html

Information is also applicable to Accords--you didn't say whether you had a Civic or an Accord. Also, you should have specified your car model and engine. Be sure and run the K-Test on your ECM.

Jan 25, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Read sections A and B in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ics-46563.html

Information is also applicable to Accords--you didn't say whether you had a Civic or an Accord. Also, you should have specified your car model and engine. Be sure and run the K-Test on your ECM.

I go to turn it on (not to start the car) and the Check Engine Light doesn't turn off. I then try to start and all I hear is a click and nothing else. The click sound is out somewhere in the engine. My fuel pump is fine I can hear it winding when I turn on the car. I read the test in the link you provided. What's the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse?

1998 Honda Accord 4Dr
    Engine
    Type: Aluminum Alloy: In-Line 4-Cyl.
    Displacement (liters): 2.3
    Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net): 135 @ 5400
    Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm): 145 @ 4700
    Compression Ratio: 8.8: 1
    Valve Train: SOHC: 16-Valve
    Fuel System: Multi-Point Fuel Injection
    Ignition System: Electronic w/Immobilizer
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
    What model--DX, LX, or EX?

Don't worry about the igniter or coil, at this point. Your problem is with an under-dash fuse--ACG (ALT) (S) , ECM, main relay, or ignition switch. The ACG (ALT) (S) fuse controls power to the main relay. Run tests in that order. All of your attention must be directed to getting the CEL to go off.

Follow the steps outlined in the link and test all under-dash and under-hood fuses.

Jan 25, 2007, 01:24 PM
    What model--DX, LX, or EX?

Sorry about that. It's a DX. Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Read section CC on igniter and coil replacement:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...s-46563-4.html

Jan 25, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Read section CC on igniter and coil replacement:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...s-46563-4.html

Thanks a lot this helps me.
    What is the best way to maintenance and take care of the A/C system?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Honestly, taking it to Honda or a shop specializing in Honda/Acuras. Don't let just anyone work on your A/C system--I have seen horror stories.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 09:37 PM
    If you decide to replace your igniter, the best thing for you to do is look at your current one, to ensure you order the right one from RockAuto.com.

Jan 25, 2007, 11:53 PM
    If you decide to replace your igniter, the best thing for you to do is look at your current one, to ensure you order the right one from RockAuto.com.

That's what I was going to do. It actually looks pretty easy to replace. Thanks!

You had mention on one of the questions that the Transmission is a sensitive matter for Honda and that maintaining it is important for a long lasting. I have noticed when my Honda slows down (on an automatic transmission) to down shift it jerks a little on the first gear. It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened several times. It usually occurs when I'm in a parking lot just rolling I may accelerate a little and then when I slow down (without pressing on the brake) to the 1st gear that's when it jerks. Is my tranny giving me signs that it will fail soon? If it is I may consider getting another car. This was my 1st Honda and in a way with having some problems with this Honda I'm very disappointed.
    Thanks for the help! TX! I've learned a lot.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Try draining the transmission and refilling with Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. Drain when transmission is hot. Simple job that pays huge dividends.

Jan 26, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Try draining the transmission and refilling with Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. Drain when transmission is hot. Simple job that pays huge dividends.

Well I changed out the Main Relay today. The bad news is it did not fix the problem. I guess now it's time to move onto the ignitor, coil, and cap. It's a little frustrating it had the symptoms of others and the main relay fixed their problem. But it didn't fix mine. I had to drive to the next town to buy it.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Run the K-Test, before doing anything else. You are not following my advice and focusing on getting the CEL to go out. If you don't get the CEL to go out, replacing the igniter, coil, and distributor cap won't make any difference.

Did you test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter?

Jan 26, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Run the K-Test, before doing anything else. You are not following my advice and focusing on getting the CEL to go out. If you don't get the CEL to go out, replacing the igniter, coil, and distributor cap won't make any difference.

Did you test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter?
    The CEL is no longer there. But the reason why it's probably not there because when I went to change the main relay I disconnected the negative cable from the battery. At least that's what the parts person at Honda instructed me to do. I think disconnecting the battery reseted the computer and abled the CEL to go out or I guess I had 2 problems the main relay and the same starting problem. The main relay is now fixed but that starting problem still exist. I'll Run the K-Test.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 01:17 PM
    What's the status of the fuses?

Jan 26, 2007, 01:19 PM
    What's the status of the fuses?
    Everything is OK on the fuses
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
    If the CEL goes out and you record 5 volts, after running the K-Test, then the igniter and coil is next on the agenda.

Jan 26, 2007, 01:30 PM
    If the CEL goes out and you record 5 volts, after running the K-Test, then the igniter and coil is next on the agenda.

You I was just going to tell you how many volts and it is 5 volts. I'm thinking it's the coil. Another person also from this website just emailed me that she had the same problem as I did and it was her coils because she never changed the spark plugs and they got damaged. It cost like $600.00 at the dealership she said. It looks simple to fix though.
    But TX I know your busy I just wanted to tell you thanks a million for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 01:33 PM
    My recommendation is to replace both igniter and coil--they both are problematic.

Jan 26, 2007, 01:36 PM
    My recommendation is to replace both igniter and coil--they both are problematic.

I'll do that this weekend. Now will my car stall if I keep driving it like this? I'm going to try to have it fixed tomorrow but at the same time I need my car today to run some errands.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'91 honda civic starting problems [ 18 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

91 Honda Civic DX Starting Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My honda civic dx has a hard time starting sometimes. This only happens occasionally but it'll turn over, but just won't ever start. It happened first about a month ago and is happening once a day now. I replaced the spark plugs and I don't know what else to do.

'95 Honda Civic DX stalling/starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Last night my car stalled out on me after I made a right turn. When I eased it into a parking spot it refused to start back up. Doing some checks it cranks but there seems to be no fuel hitting the engine(sorry not too familiar with the inner workings of the car). I thought it might be the...

85 Honda Accord LX starting problems [ 8 Answers ]

I have an 85 Accord LX, carburated. Car began stopping intermitently. Now won't start at all. No spark from Coil. Seems to be getting fuel. Won't even fire on starting fluid. Replaced Coil. Replaced distributer with 2 different used carburators. 12volts to + and - side of coil with key on. When key...

View more questions Search