Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lildebbie61 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 10:11 AM
    20 amp recpt. On a 15 amp breaker
    Do I need to replace my breaker to a 20 amp? I have electric heaters that heat up my recpt and plugs an heaters what sshould I do?:confused: :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 10:17 AM
    If the wires feeding the receptacle are 14 gauge, you need to either replace them with 12 gauge, switch to a smaller heater, or find a 20 amp circuit to plug it in. Just replacing the breaker could burn the house down.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Labman is absolutely correct about not just changing a breaker to a higher amp rating without knowing what size wire there is.

If you let us know what the wattage is of each heater, and the quantity, we can determine what size circuit is needed.

Reason is that maybe the circuit is of sufficient size but the receptacles may be a bit old or worn, and that can also create the heat you feel at the receptacle and plug.

In any case best to shut these heaters down and stop using them, the heat at the outlets will only make things worse, and maybe quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions that I need help on. I recently moved into my home and discovered a few things. 1. 12-2 wire has been ran throughout the house. Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2?? 2. How many lights would you say you can run on 12-2 and/or 14-2 wire? 3. How...

15 or 20 amp breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

My father-in-law replaced a 15 amp circuit breaker with a 20 amp circuit breaker a few weeks ago. This breaker is for the outlets in our living room as well as one outlet in our kitchen so it serves lights, a television, dvd, CD, and our refrigerator. Yesterday, I set up our Christmas tree and...

60 amp breaker at service panel [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have my spa totally wired, using a spa disconnect with gfi. I am now at the end of the line, with 3 #4 thhn coming from disconnect box, and ready to hook up to service panel. I have a 2 pole 60 amp breaker, and I am not sure what wires go where at the breaker panel. I think the red and...

200 amp service with a 200 amp outdoor breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to wire a 200 amp outdoor breaker enclosure.I have 4/0 scu cable for my service head to the meter,and 4/0 scu from meter to breaker enclosure.Then from the breaker enclosure I have 4/0 ser cable to my panel.What is the proper wiring method in the enclosure,please help.

15 amp breaker [ 5 Answers ]

Rewiring my kitchen, I have refrigerator, stove with electronic ignition, exhaust hood, and a microwave, and a duplex plug. Wondering if too much power for 15 amp breaker. Thanks for any info.

View more questions Search