Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chipster51 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Water hammer and reduced hot water flow in one kitchen tap
    This only happens on this one tap. It is a single faucet and the line is shared with a dishwasher. After the hot water runs for about 30 seconds I hear the pipes downstairs and the flow keeps reducing to hardly anything. I guess it's most likely why the dishes are not getting clean as well. No problems in other parts of the house. We are on city water if that makes any difference. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 07:58 PM

Is the flow reduced to both the faucet and the dishwasher at the same time?

Apr 16, 2011, 10:15 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Yes it is but only hot water.

Apr 16, 2011, 10:17 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I don't run the hot water out of the kitchen sink faucet when the dishwasher is running

Apr 24, 2011, 06:48 AM
    Anyone? Now I also get a whistling sound as the hot water flow decreases.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 06:55 AM

Hi Chipster...

Most likely there is a washer or some debris in the line getting loose in some way.

Your best bet is to disconnect the hot hose from the shutoff under the sink and then direct that hose into a bucket and then turn the hot water on and see if the flow becomes reducuced as it did when you ran the faucet.

If the water reduces then the issue is a loose washer at the shutoff or at another shutoff further down the pipe.

If the water doesn't show a reduced flow from the shutoff then the issue is up in the faucet and the faucet will need to be disassembled and cleaned/purged of any sediment. Inspect the cartridge for loose parts as well... may need to repair or replace the cartridge entirely!

Let us know what you discover, OK?

Mark

Apr 24, 2011, 07:58 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Thanks Mark. Will do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

To get hot water from my shower my cold water kitchen tap needs to be on. Help? [ 0 Answers ]

To get hot water from my shower my cold water kitchen tap needs to be on. Help? To get the hot water the cold water tap needs to be running fast, both in the kitchen and the bathroom sink. The shower unit is downstairs next to the kitchen. Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can solve...

I have what you call water hammer when I turn off the hot water tap. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a solar wter system installed I don't know if this has got any thing to do with it at night it is bad.

No hot water flow at any tap. Cold water not an issue. 2004 Wennebago Vectra 40ft [ 1 Answers ]

Had hot water yesterday. Temp overnight was -3 and now no hot water at any tap. The high got up to 26 for a high and still no hot water in the RV. Haven't been using the floor furnace; so thought that might be the culprit; but switched off the small poratbles and let the furnace (both front and...

Reduced HOT water at kitchen tap [ 2 Answers ]

I have reduced hot water at kithchen tap only! All other taps are OK. WHY?

View more questions Search