Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    staffytj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 02:07 AM
    I have what you call water hammer when I turn off the hot water tap.
    I have a solar wter system installed I don't know if this has got any thing to do with it at night it is bad.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2010, 06:14 AM

Perhaps the ai chambers need recharging.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put air chambers on all bath lavatories and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will began to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps you out and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

When I turn on the hot tap the water runs hot then cold hot then cold [ 0 Answers ]

When I run the hot tap, the water runs hot then cold, hot then cold. The boiler ignites when the tap is turned on but then goes off and on, off and on while the tap is running. I have a ravenheat LS80(T) combi boiler

What the problem if my cold water work but I get no water out of my hot water tap [ 3 Answers ]

My cold water is working OK but my hot water is a trickle then stops and that if for hours what could be the problem

Turn on hot water tap and bang [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: When we turn on the hot water tap in our downstairs bathroom it bangs & makes a loud noise. It will also slow down on the water coming out. When you go to turn it off it bangs continuously until the tap is all the way turned off. We have hot water heating. D&G

View more questions Search