Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bub0198 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 05:32 PM
    Replacing Water Heater Nipples
    I have determined that I have a blockage in the water heater that is restricting the hot water flow to the house. I believe it's a clogged/blocked nipple or heat trap. With all my strength, I cannot get the existing nipple to loosen. Do you have any suggestions to loosen the nipple? Maybe there is something to spray on and let sit to help loosen or do I just need to provide more leverage and strength. I didn't really want to pay a plumber to come out to just screw and unscrew a few nipples, but I may have no choice.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2011, 03:24 AM

Spray some WD-40 let it soak for an hour and try, you also can use a little more leverage, good luck.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 03:53 AM

In addition to John's advice... Use as big pipe wrench as you can get your hands on. Bigger the wrench - the easier it will unscrew.
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Apr 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
    Heat the nipple with torch to loosen possible sealant on threads, then use pipe wrench. If nipple breaks use nipple extractor to remove broken piece.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2011, 11:29 PM

Warning,

If you use the torch and use too much heat you may melt the dip tube and will cause you problem and you will have hot water problem, dip tubes are the same for electric and gas water heaters, see the image below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

I have no water after replacing hot water heater [ 7 Answers ]

I had a small leak in my gas hot water heater so I had my son turn off the water just going to the hot water heater. This causes all of the water in the house to stop after a day. I replaced the hot water heater and turned the water back on, I had intermittent water with low pressure for a few days...

Low water pressure in shower after replacing water heater [ 4 Answers ]

We have almost no pressure with the hot water in the shower after replacing the water heater. Cold water is OK, we have flushed out the pipes (refilled the water heater) and still not any better. What next? We have look on line for answers but to no avail.

Very low water pressue to house after replacing leaking valve on water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the leaking valve leading to the hot water heater, drained the hot water heater, turned the main valve to the house back on and now have very low water pressure to the house (cold and hot) The house has galvanized metal pipes... HELP please!:confused:

Dripping Gas Water Heater at Nipples [ 6 Answers ]

Hi: I just installed a GE water heater and noticed that there are drips of water where I connected the adapters to the nipples. I used Shark Bite 3/4 inch adapter, also used teflon tape.

View more questions Search