Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robpit Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Dripping Gas Water Heater at Nipples
    Hi:
    I just installed a GE water heater and noticed that there are drips of water where I connected the adapters to the nipples. I used Shark Bite 3/4 inch adapter, also used teflon tape.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Is it the taped joint or the shark bite joint that's leaking?

It seems that the Shark bite fittings have very specific assembly instructions. http://www.cashacme.com/SharkBiteInst.pdf

Nov 14, 2007, 08:43 AM
    It is the taped joint
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Here's instructions:

Plumbing Repair Guide: How To Use Teflon Tape - ACME HOW TO.com

There are a couple of things that can go wrong. Going all the way to the end sometimes pulls and tears the tape.

Here is a discussion about tighening NPT threads.

How tight should you install a NPT fitting?

NPT is National Pipe Thread and it's a tapered thread, so it will either seal or rip the teflon tape. As the link above states, you need to get a feel for it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:16 AM
    How clean were the threads in the tank? They often come from the factory with crud in them. You may need to remove them, clean up with a wire brush, and reassemble.

Nov 14, 2007, 11:20 AM
    They we clean, but this begs another question. The nipples had a blue plastic insert for cold water and a red insert for the hot water... should I have removed them before I attached the adapter?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Those are dielectric nipples. If they had little flaps sealing them, I would remove the flaps. Either leave the inserts in, or pitch the nipples. Flip a coin after reading https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ic-151348.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have...

Gas water heater [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , My question is about my gas water heater. Sometimes the water gets hot and than occasionally it will not. What could be causing this ?

Gas Hot Water Heater runs out of water [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Gas Hot Water Heater in my house 50 gallon I believe. It runs out of water after about 5 minutes and the water does not seem as hot as it should be (It's turned to 3 on a max scale of 4 on the heater). The pilot light is on. Can you tell me what might cause the hot water to...

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

New water heater dripping? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I installed a new water heater 3yrs ago,replaced upper element 1yr ago. Had 6 months problem free after installing element. One day water started slow dripping from the relief valve on the side. Thinking the valve might be at fault I replaced it with a new one- same problem still exists. ...

View more questions Search