Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgr327 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2011, 08:32 AM
    Are Early Pension Distributions taxable to Michigan?
    My niece lost her job in Michigan and cashed out her 401 K in several distributions throughout the year. The distribution code on the 1099-R is "1". I am using Turbotax to complete her return and the Michigan return is asking for the source of this retirement plan. The choices are:
    Identify the source of the distribution by entering:

G - if the pension is from a government or public source (including military and railroad retirement)

P - if it is from a private source or an IRA

C - if it is a 2009 Roth conversion

N - if it is an other pension subject to Michigan tax

Which code would I use in this instance?
    In addition, does it make financial sense to convert at least a portion of my 401k to an IRA and would the tax treatment differ in any way?

Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 01:15 PM
    The distribution IS taxable income on her Michigan return.

Enter "P".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a VA aid and attendance pension taxable [ 4 Answers ]

My mom was awarded a VA aid and attendance pension in Sept 09. Will she receive a tax form(like a 1099) for reporting this income on her tax return? Is this pension taxable?

Is early 401k withdrawal taxable on Michigan state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I withdrew $16,250 from my 401k to purchase my first home. I received my 1099-R and already had the 20% held for early distribution and I do know that I have to pay the 10%penalty on my Federal 2009 Income tax return. I'm lost if I have to pay Michigan State Taxes on the $16, 250? I did Turbo Tax...

Are 401k distributions taxable in Michigan- Help my Tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I retired at age 56 ,two years ago, after 37 years of service and receive a private pension. I know my pension falls within the parameters stipulated by the State of Michigan and is not Taxable at the State level. However, in 2009 I also took a partial distribution from my 401k program, which...

Company pension contributions taxable for US citizens? [ 1 Answers ]

I've a company overseas that has employed a US citizen. We have been providing our other international staff with offshore pension contributions in lieu of salary for local tax purposes. As US citizens are never considered non resident will this have to be taken into consideration when my...

Pension refund from Germany taxable in US ? [ 3 Answers ]

I worked in Germany from 2003-2005. From 2007 I am working in US. I received a notification of refund of pension contribution from Germany today. My question is that whether this is taxable in US for any years from 2007- ? (My assumption is that it is not taxable since during the time I made the...

View more questions Search