Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lz208 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Is early 401k withdrawl taxable on Michigan state tax?
    I withdrew $16,250 from my 401k to purchase my first home. I received my 1099-R and already had the 20% held for early distribution and I do know that I have to pay the 10%penalty on my Federal 2009 Income tax return. I'm lost if I have to pay Michigan State Taxes on the $16, 250? I did Turbo Tax and it did count it as income and then another program in which on Schedule 1 it deducted it from my income and not taxed? Two different answers. Help please!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 02:16 PM
    Were you living in Michigan in 2009 as a resident of Michigan?

If so, then the 401K distribution is subject to Michigan income taxes.

If not, then no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are 401k distributions taxable in Michigan- Help my Tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I retired at age 56 ,two years ago, after 37 years of service and receive a private pension. I know my pension falls within the parameters stipulated by the State of Michigan and is not Taxable at the State level. However, in 2009 I also took a partial distribution from my 401k program, which...

What is the state tax % for 401k withdrawal in virginia? [ 2 Answers ]

When taking a early withdrawl off a 401k plan, what is the % of state tax that needs to be withdrawn? If my 401k total is 10k, federal is 20%, and there a early penalty for 10%, but what is the state %? When I file my taxs the same year, does the early withdrawl % come out of my tax return?

401k early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

What are the penalties for early withdrawl of 401k in Florida

401k early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

We withdrew in August 2006 my wife's 401k to pay off bills. She has been off work for two years. A Social Security Judge in March 2007 declared her disabled and unable to work. We will be receieving a settlement from Social Security. We were told that since she was disabled there would not be a...

Arizona State Tax Form for IRA early withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what forms to use for early withdrawl on IRA's in the state of AZ. This IRA withdrawl is part of my AGI on my federal taxes

View more questions Search