Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sujit Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
    ITIN and how to file
    Hi
    I came to US in April 2006, my wife and Kid joined me in September 2006. My wife and kid don't have ITIN for them. When do I have to file for the ITIN and where? How do I specify the claims in W2. Because till September I was alone and then had my family here so would I have to claim for my kid and wife only from September? If so how do I calculate my taxes? Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks. :confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Need to know some information:

- What is your visa status?
    - What is your wife's and child's visa status?
    - What is your country of origin?

Once I have these answers, I can properly advice you.

The form to complete is Form W-7, which can be downloaded from Internal Revenue Service.
    Sujit Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Sorry for the delay in replying,

My Visa status is L1B
    My Wife and Child are on L2B
    My Country is India
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 09:02 AM
    You are technically a dual-status alien. However, you and your wife have the option to be treated as resident aliens for the entire year of 2006 if you file jointly.

The advantages of filing as a resident alien is that it simplifies your filing process. You will file Form 1040 or 1040A, filing jointly with your wife and claiming your child as a dependent. You can claim a double Standard Deduction of $10,300. You are eligible for the Child Tax Credit (but NOT the Earned Income Credit). If your wife or yourself opted to attend college in 2006, you can claim the education credits/deduction.

The disadvantage is that your world-wide incomes in 2006 become liable to U.S. taxes. That means any income earned in India in 2006 by yourself or your wife will have to be reported on your 2006 tax return.

You can avoid the world-wide income reporting by filing as a dual-status alien. You still get to claim your wife as a dependent, but NOT your child (he/she was not with you in the U.S. longer enough). Further, you can claim NO standard deduction at all, but rather you will itemize.

It seems likely that filing as a resident alien offers enough advantages to offset the requirement to report all of your world-wide income. I would not know for sure until I interviewed you in more detail when I prepared your return.

If you want my professional help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No ITIN For Spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Problems: 1) No ITIN For spouse. 2) Only 3 days remain to file taxes. 3) worked in 2 states(CA and NC) and I might owe about $10 in NC but will be receiving money in CA and Federal. 4) To claim standard deduction I need to wait until I get spouse's ITIN. One suggestion has been to...

How to Get a ITIN number? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a H1 b from 2005 oct and my husband lives in UK; He will be moving to US on feb 20 th 2007 and will be going to school of dentistry from April ; When and how can I apply for his ITIN number? How can we get back taxes for 2007 which we will be paying as his tution fees in Feb...

Details for ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

I need to apply for ITIN for my wife who is on H4 with me . I came to US in Aug 2006. Can I send just only W7 to IRS to get ITIN or do I have to go for any other things. Or do I need to send it when I file my returns?

What is needed to get ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in Feb 2006 on H1 and working in Atlanta since then. 1 month back, my wife joined me on H4 visa. To get health insurance (family plan), they asked to ITIN(since she is not eligible to get SSN). But, W7, they ask to attach documentation providing reason for applying for...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search