Ask
    vishal bhatia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 08:07 PM
    No ITIN For Spouse
    Hi,
    Problems:
    1) No ITIN For spouse.
    2) Only 3 days remain to file taxes.
    3) worked in 2 states(CA and NC) and I might owe about $10 in NC but will be receiving money in CA and Federal.
    4) To claim standard deduction I need to wait until I get spouse's ITIN.

One suggestion has been to take an extension for NC and apply for it when I get ITIN.
    HOw much penaly and interest rate will I have to pay?
    I have earned about 5300 in NC and already paid 311 in taxes.

Is there a better way to avoid the penalty as well as claim the standard deduction.
    Can I send whatever amount I calculate and later claim filing state return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 09:29 AM
    Vishal:

File the extension for the IRS (Form 4868), plus extensions with CA and NC (get the extension forms from the state government websites).

When you file the NC extension, send a check for about $25 to cover any added tax you may owe. You'll get it back when you file your NC return.

Download W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have your wife sign it and attach it to your tax return, along with a notarized copy of her passport. Send it to the address on W-7 instructions.

IRS will issue the ITIN, insert it where your wife's ITIn should, process the return and mail your wife's ITIn back to you. Then (and only then), you can file the NC and CA tax returns.
    gurjit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Thanks Atlanta help desk
    I am My wife have both been here in the US for >183 days and as I understand for the publication 519 we are resident aliens for taxation purposes.My wife filed the ITIN application but her form was rejected with the reasin that she is on a J2 visa and so is not eligible for a ITIN and my deduction was disallowed.can you shed some furhter lite on this topic.

Gurjit
    Senior Tax Expert

May 10, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Gurjit:

Did you attach a statement signed by BOTH of you stating that you qualified to choose to be treated as resident aliens for ALL of 2006 and that you are making the explicit choice to be treated as resident aliens?

That statement is REQUIRED to be signed by BOTH of you and attached to your tax return. I have at least ONE client whose ITIN request was denied because they failed to sign the statement.
    rajkot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Gurjit:

All J2 visa holder are not eligible for ITIN but they are eligible for SSN. For that You must apply for I-766 card (employment authorization document)and once it approve (about 4 months) then go to social security office with that card you will get SSN for your J2 visa holder.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2012, 01:44 PM
    I disagree.

If a J-2 has no need or desie to work, then can and should apply for an ITIN by submitting Form W-7 with the tax return of the J-1 visa Holder. However, you must be sure that the J-1 visaholder can in fact claim the wife as a dependent. Only J-1 visaholders from certain countries can claim the spouses as dependents.

Rajkot: I AM curious why you chose to answer a post that is about FIVE years old?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

ITIN/ 1040X question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife and me got married in June of 2005. So, for tax purposes I considered myself married for FY 2005. I was on an F1 visa then and it got converted to a H1 in Oct of 2005. I filed the 1040NR filing jointly. I had already instructed my employer about SS taxes and Medicare taxes so those...

What is needed to get ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in Feb 2006 on H1 and working in Atlanta since then. 1 month back, my wife joined me on H4 visa. To get health insurance (family plan), they asked to ITIN(since she is not eligible to get SSN). But, W7, they ask to attach documentation providing reason for applying for...

Spouse on H4, no SSN/ITIN [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in USA on a H1B visa for close to six years, I got married in May 2005 and my wife accompanied me to the US for four months. We returned to our native for good in September 2005. I did not file for a ITIN/SSN for my wife during her stay. Can I file a joint return claiming her as...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search