Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cahujones Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 08:42 PM
    Copper Shower Drain Pipe
    I ripped out my old acrylic shower base and planned to replace it with a new tileable shower base. The problem is once I removed the shower base, I found that the drain pipe was copper not PVC (I should have known, house was built in the 60's). I have not been able to find a brass drain for a tileable shower base. I am a novice in the world of DIY (I probably should not have taken on such an ambitious project) but I've already purchased the shower base so I have to figure how to make it work. I don't know what my next step should be – any insight would be appreciated. The copper pipe sits about 1-1/2” above the floor, which is making the butt up to the top of the pipe?
    Camille
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 03:54 PM

Hi Camille...

Tell us the name of the "tileable" shower base you have, OK? Also, tell me if you have access to the copper pipe from below or are you on a concrete slab? I'd also like to know how you are planning to set the shower base... are you planning to set it into a mortar bed or what does the manufacturer require?

Answer my questions and I'll be able to help you complete the project, OK... ;)

Mark

Mar 28, 2011, 06:35 AM
    Hi Mark,
    Thank you so much.I have the KBRS (Showerbase.com)tileable shower base. I am on a concrete slab but there is a 12"x12" square cut out in the center where the copper pipe about 3" long looks to be welded into another piece of metel that is under ground. The directions for the showerbase say to install the base with thinset & I am supposed to secure the PVC shower drain to the base using silicone. The showerbase will be a snug fit, I'm not really worried about it moving. I really appreciate your help with this.
    Camille
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 07:25 AM

You'll need a 2" copper x 2" PVC SHIELDED TRANSITION CLAMP (see image) here, Camille. These can be picked up at almost any home improvement store nowadays, but don't get talked into purchasing the all rubber type of clamp... get the shielded clamp only. You'll also need a small piece of 2" PVC pipe... sold in 2 foot lengths at most home depots.

Then, you'll need to cut that copper pipe about an inch or so above the SOLDERED joint underground. Here, you can't make a mistake or the job will become much harder. You (or a friend) can cut the pipe using an inside pipe cutter with a metal cutting wheel... see image. The metal cutting wheel will need to be purchased separately and attached to the inside pipe cutter. You could also use a DREMEL TOOL with a metal cutting wheel... sold at home depot or Lowe's.

Wear goggles, trace the line to be cut onto the pipe and then cut the line. Once you have a good cut, debur the pipe using a file and then install the shielded clamp to the copper and new PVC pipe.

More questions, just let me know, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Mar 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Hi Mark,
    Our Home Depot only carries the rubber clamp but I just located the shielded clamp at a plumbing supply store which is about 35 minutes away. Thanks for the pictures I've printed them out to ensure that I get the right clamp. I have a dremel. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about doing this ALL THANKS TO YOU! I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thank you again
    Camille

Mar 28, 2011, 11:22 AM
    Hi Mark,
    Our Home Depot only carries the rubber clamp but I just located the shielded clamp at a plumbing supply store which is about 35 minutes away. Thanks for the pictures I've printed them out to ensure that I get the right clamp. I have a dremel. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about doing this ALL THANKS TO YOU! I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thank you again
    Camille
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 01:13 PM

Always glad to help! Good luck!

Apr 5, 2011, 08:01 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Good Morning,
    I just wanted to thank you again for your help. I got the copper and PVC pipe connected - I started with your instructions and cut all but 2 inches off the copper pipe. The shielded clamp was too tall, so I about an inch off the PVC side & I cut the PVC drain neck down. It was still about 2 inches too tall. I went back to home depot and by now the shower drain neck is ruined. The salesperson said that the only solution he had was for me to force the PVC over the copper pipe and seal it. Well I pinched at the copper pipe until the end of the pipe fit into the PVC (dry fitted) then I cleaned the PVC and with PVC glue and silicone around the sides; and again once the original glue had a chance to dry. It does not look pretty but so far there are no visible leaks. I am about do a balloon test in the drain to check for leaking. I've created more problems because in a rush to get the base down I forgot to use a base of thinset to hold the base down -
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 5, 2011, 08:13 AM

Hi again...

As a plumber I have to say that this is not a good solution to the problem, but it sounds like it is all done now... *UGH*.

If you decide to rip this up and start over please post back and we will work real closely with you to make sure you have a perfect outcome. If needed, on a very rare occasion, I can even speak to you by telephone so we can start and finish this in a reasonable time frame.

I really do wish you well and if we can help more you just post back!

Thank you for updating me... I appreciate that!

Mark
    MsDestynie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
    Hi Mark -

Just wanted to tell you thank you for your detailed info (including pictures) you gave Camille. I had the same problem as she did, only with a copper drain pipe that I needed to transition to an ABS drain. Followed your directions exactly, and it has turned out perfectly cutting the copper back (with the metal dremmel blade) and using the shielded clamp to attach the ABS transition piece to the copper. Then I used ABS glue to connect the new ABS piece to the drain. Thank you again! I searched all over the Internet before I found your post; I was very close to just calling a plumber to do this, but knew it couldn't be that difficult.

Now... onto construction of the shower pan!

Thanks again,
    Helen
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Hi Helen

Thank you for taking a minute to post over to us... appreciate it!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sink copper drain pipe leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,under my kitchen sink the drain goes through the normal trap then into the wall where it is connected to a 1.5 inch copper pipe . This pipe runs on a slant to the main drain in the basement.the first six inches of the copper pipe runs level then through a elbow on the slant to the main drain.the...

Copper drain pipe in water line [ 0 Answers ]

From the basement I can see there is a 3/4 or 1 inch copper pipe that comes through my flooring about 1 inch and is between the floor joists and it is leaking water. I can't figure out what it is connected to and why it has started leaking. Thanks

Attaching a shower pan to a copper drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a shower replaced by a local contractor. He installed a PVC pan to my old copper drain. Needless to say it leaks. He doesn't understand why? I believe that the correct way should have been to cut the copper drain and install a PVC pipe to the shower. Can someone help explain...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

3/4" copper pipe for washer drain? [ 20 Answers ]

Parents moved into new ranch style house, and bought new washer/dryer. Drain for washer is what looks like a 1" copper stub with a 3/4" conversion fitting on it. Its about 6" off the ground. plastic bendable hose drain for washer has a rubber gasket-type fitting around it which fits in 2" PVC...

View more questions Search