Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moneyline702 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 05:51 PM
    I have a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2 auto
    I took my kid to the store and got there fine. On the way back I had problems with the truck in forwards gears and when I got home the reverse gave in. Original trans and at 158k mi this is the first problem I had. What's going on?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2011, 06:00 PM

If you haven't been dropping and cleaning the transmission pan, changing the filter, and refilling with Mercon V every 30,000 miles, you are likely looking at a rebuild or replacement. Clutch packs are probably shot.
    andyj1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Doesn't soung good if I had to guess u either have a problem with the valve body in the trans, or the forward reverse and coast clutches are roasted at that mileage it is not supprising

lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Mar 2, 2011, 07:58 PM
    95 explorer, you have an aod-e transmission, not the strongest tranny ford ever built. If the trans has never been serviced you are looking at a rebuild or replace. If you reacently had a flush performed you likely have bits of the transmission filter clogging the valve body. The remedy to that could be a removal and flushing of the valve body. I reccomed getting it to a reputable transmission shop and having them take a look at it. I advise against a major national chain shop like aamco, as they will likely tell you the transmission needs to be replaced. Find a small local shop that relies on its reputation not a national advertising campaign.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 ford explorer xlt 4.0 transmission problems [ 17 Answers ]

I changed the transmission fluid on my 1995 ford explorer xlt. I than drove it around the block and the overdrive off light started to blink and the transmission was struggling to change gears. I couldn't get the overdrive off light to shut off. What is my problem?

1995 ford explorer auto trans doesn't want to shift by itself and starts in second [ 1 Answers ]

1995 ford explorer auto trans doesn't want to shift by its self and starts in second gear but you can manually shift it fine. On longer trips 30 miles or more it pushes fluid out the fill tube

View more questions Search