Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bswisher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Does both parents names have to be on the birth certificate in the state of virginia?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 03:56 PM

Have to be for - what purpose?

You are asking whether a BC can be recorded with only one parent's name. Of course. It happens all the time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2011, 04:38 PM

Why would both parents not sign?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2011, 08:13 AM
    In Virginia, both parents do not sign the birth certificate. The mother fills out the paperwork at the hospital. If you are married (a vital records check will verify this) at the time of birth, your husband is presumed to be the father in Virginia and will be on the birth certificate.No signature by him is actually required. He may challenge this if he believes that he is not the father, but the law assumes that he is. If you are not married at the time of birth, the father may sign a paternity acknowledgment, which is a legally binding agreement that makes him the legal father. He may then be listed on the birth certificate. If you are unmarried, and there is no paternity acknowledgment, there will be no father listed on the birth certificate. In fact, even if you know who the father is, you may not fill in his information. The only situation in which a father is listed at birth are those mentioned above, when legal paternity is either acknowledged or can be assumed through a marriage.
    bswisher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 11:05 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    My daughter is unmarried and pregnant ( she is 21). She was told that if the father is not listed on the BC, the child will not be able to attend school or anything else in Virginia. I am trying to find out if this is true or not.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bswisher View Post
    My daughter is unmarried and pregnant ( she is 21). She was told that if the father is not listed on the BC, the child will not be able to attend school or anything else in Virginia. I am trying to find out if this is true or not.
    (Please don't use the comments feature for follow-up questions.)

No, that doesn't sound right at all. From what Kcomissiong said, there is no way to get the father on the BC. It would follow that Virginia schools are invidiously discriminating against illegitimate children. Furthermore, if a child born elsewhere without both parents on the BC, and then brought into the state he/she would still be deprived of an education.

This site says nothing about such a requirement.

Who told you that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing both parents names from birth certificate? [ 7 Answers ]

Im 26 and have decided to "Divorce" my parents.. can I legally have both their names removed from my birth certificate without being "Adopted"- I want the fields completely blank as if I were an Orphan. Is it possible?

How to add fathers name to a virginia birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

how to add fathers name to a virginia birth certificate

How do you add names on to a birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Can I add a name on my children's birth certifcate

Finding the names of my birth parents [ 3 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to find the names of my birth parents?

Last Name on Birth Certificate, Virginia laws. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved to Virginia while I'm 6 months pregnant. The father of the child is planning on coming down here in August and be here but because of finances may not be able to. My question is, Does he have to be there to give our child his last name? We are not married and I know if he isn't...

View more questions Search