Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silver_Is_Money Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 02:38 PM
    Can I remove a basement toilet and leave behind only a floor drain?
    I have an unused toilet in my circa 1964 homes basement that I would like to remove, but rather than capping it off I would like to convert the toilet drain into a basement floor drain. Is this possible, and if so, what is required, and how is it done?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
    Water traps to prevent sewer gas are built into toilets, so you won't find one when you remove the toilet. Plus there's the added danger o sewage itself, and that's the first place it will backup. See what the drain pipe is made of. Put a PVC plug in it (with a rubber/hose clamp fitting). Open it when needed.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
    Somewhat difficult at this point but can be done. There is no trap on the existing line, the toilet water level acts as a trap. You would have to remove enough concrete sideways and depth, so you could attach a floor trap body into the existing stub using a reducer. You will need to find out from your local inspectors what type of system you can install as there are a couple of different types, some may not be approved. Many authorities require trap primers in lieu of deep-seal P-traps where floor drains are used infrequently so they don't dry out. In that case, you will need to run a water line too. Once everything is hooked up, slope the concrete back to the drain so water will flow into it. As I said, not easy at this point.
    jrk7490 Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Feb 26, 2011, 09:43 AM
    While the other two answers are correct, there is still a solution. You can install a floor drain and keep within all codes. The best recommendation I can offer is to install a jr smith Fig. 2530 or equal which includes a trap for shallow install and contains a backwater mechanism built in to prevent any sanitary back-ups. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rerouting toilet drain in a second floor condo, would like to move the toilet 2 feet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I just purchased a condo and would like to reposition the toilet about two feet to make room for a tub and separate shower. I am on the second floor of a 3 story condo unit built in 1982. It is cinderblock and stucco and I assume concrete slabs between each floor. I know I will need to...

Septic smell in basement floor drain/gutter drain? [ 2 Answers ]

1928 home on city sewer. After showers there is a septic smell coming up from floor dain in basement. I have oured enormous amounts of water down the drain not fixing the problem. I ended up cover the drain with a bucket, this took care of the smell, this was all three months ago. I recently cut my...

Difference between standard toilet and basement floor toilet [ 23 Answers ]

I need to know the difference of a basement floor toilet and standard one so I can order it! How do I measure the rough in without takg the toilet off the floor right now?

Basement washer drain connection to existing floor drain [ 10 Answers ]

I am on city service. I would like to connect my basement washer drain into the existing floor drain (3" line). I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer ....

Remove old tile from cement basement floor [ 7 Answers ]

Having some trouble removing old tile from my basement floor. Is there any thing that I can do to lossen the tile up first. I have tried to scrap it and chip it but it still won't come up in some spots of the floor. HELP.

View more questions Search