Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tootsierhinohum Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Difference between standard toilet and basement floor toilet
    I need to know the difference of a basement floor toilet and standard one so I can order it! How do I measure the rough in without takg the toilet off the floor right now?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 08:40 AM

A basement toilet can be a standard toilet unless you are thinking of a saniflow which pumps the sewage up to a drain line. If you just mean how far it is offset from the wall so can see from the side on most. You will see the snaking curvature that makes your trap. That curve eventually starightens out and goes straight dow, Run a tape measure from the wall to the approximate center of that snakes termination. Most toilets are between 10 and 14" ( 80% are 12 ") but there are some surprises out there

Oct 5, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    A basement toilet can be a standard toilet unless you are thinking of a saniflow which pumps the sewage up to a drain line. If you just mean how far it is offset from the wall so can see from the side on most. You will see the snaking curvature that makes your trap. That curve eventually starightens out and goes straight dow, Run a tape measure from the wall to the approximate center of that snakes termination. Most toilets are between 10 and 14" ( 80% are 12 ") but there are some surprises out there
    Thank you for respondg so quick! Unfortunately there isn't an outside curve to show where the drain goes down, it's a 94 model that's straight sided. I can't even find a brand name on the darn thing! As long as I go with a 12-14" rough in I should be all right?

Oct 5, 2009, 09:13 AM

Not so quick, they aren't sold with wiggle room. A 12" would fit in place of a 14" but would stand off the wall by at least 2". A 14" can't be installed at all to replace a 12". Brand is usually right between the seat attachments to the toilet, they all have them. A picture might help.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 09:23 AM

Post a photo. We will ID it for you...

Oct 5, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Not so quick, they aren't sold with wiggle room. A 12" would fit in place of a 14" but would stand off the wall by at least 2". A 14" can't be installed at all to replace a 12". Brand is usually right between the seat attachments to the toilet, they all have them. A picture might help.
    Hi
    I did do some measuring, the drain hole is approx 14" from the wall, there is a curve after all! And the brand name is not on the toilet anywhere, go figure! The 2 bolts on each side, measure 4 1/2" from the back of the toilet and 11 1/2" from the back. If I order a toilet with those measurements I should get what I'm needg right?

Oct 5, 2009, 09:40 AM

Measuring from the bolts to the wall will tell you the size of the offset. Those bolts are coming off the falnge below the toilet and are dead center on the drain. When yopu wrote "measure 4 1/2" from the back of the toilet " I assume you mean from the bolts to the wall, right?

Oct 5, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Measuring from the bolts to the wall will tell you the size of the offset. Those bolts are coming off the falnge below the toilet and are dead center on the drain. When yopu wrote "measure 4 1/2" from the back of the toilet " I assume you mean from the bolts to the wall, right?
    No, the 4 1/2" measurement is from the back of the stool to the first bolt, then 11 1/2" to the next bolt. The measurement from the wall to the bolt is about 11 1/2". That's where I need to start huh?
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 12:12 PM

Is the toilet attached to the floor with 2 bolts or 4 bolts ?

Oct 5, 2009, 12:16 PM

This sounds like a 12" rough in toilet. Forget all measuring except from the bolt to the actual wall, not the baseboard. Betting that will be 12" right on the mark, let us know.

Oct 5, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Is the toilet attached to the floor with 2 bolts or 4 bolts ?
    I'm guessg they are attached with 4, otherwise I don't know why there would be all of them. Usually only 2 are needed, but seeing as it's a basement floor toilet...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Hi Tootsier...

All toilets, even the really old toilets use only two bolts to attach to the toilet flange. The other 2 bolts were used to bolt the toilet to the floor. Eventually, they found the additional 2 weren't needed and did away with them.

If you measured 11.5" from the finished wall to the bolts at/near the center of the toilet then the toilet is a 12" rough in toilet as Ballengerb1 pointed out. That is what you need to order... ;)

Let us know if you want to discuss more... O.K.?

MARK

Oct 6, 2009, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Tootsier...

All toilets, even the really old toilets use only two bolts to attach to the toilet flange. The other 2 bolts were used to bolt the toilet to the floor. Eventually, they found the additional 2 weren't needed and did away with them.

If you measured 11.5" from the finished wall to the bolts at/near the center of the toilet then the toilet is a 12" rough in toilet as Ballengerb1 pointed out. That is what you need to order...;)

Let us know if you want to discuss more...O.K.??

MARK

Thank You!

Oct 6, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Hi Tootsier...

If you measured 11.5" from the finished wall to the bolts at/near the center of the toilet then the toilet is a 12" rough in toilet as Ballengerb1 pointed out. That is what you need to order...;)

MARK

I forgot, the first bolts aren't the center of the toilet, theres' 2 on each side like I said and it's about 14 inches to where the center of the toilet is and where the drain curves down.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Hi Tootsier...

MARK

Mark, I was thinking he is measuring from the front bolts ( if present ). That's why asked him to verify. :D

Oct 6, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Mark, I was thinking he is measuring from the front bolts ( if present ). That's why asked him to verify. :D
    Hi
    I'm a she, lol, and yes I measured from the back bolts, they're further up the side than usual, they measure 11 1/2" from the wall, odd.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 01:34 PM

Tootsierhinohum: Oooops, my apology... it was unintentional

Oct 6, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Tootsierhinohum: Oooops, my appology.... it was unintentional
    That's OK!

Oct 6, 2009, 05:39 PM

It's a 12' rough in.

Oct 6, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Its a 12' rough in.
    Is there one that fits both 12 or 14, just in case?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Non standard toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need to renew my toilet seat but the distance between the holes on the bowl are not standard (4 and a half inches), the ones in DIY stores are all around 5 and a half inches. The toilet maker is "vision" but no joy to date tracking down a seat that will fit.. can someone help me get to the...

Standard toilet rough in [ 3 Answers ]

We have hit a snag in our bathroom remodel. Our contractor installed the flange at the standard 12" wall to center of flange distance, but an installed toilet sits 2-3" from the wall. We have had 3 different toilets in the room to try to figure out what is going on. They are all "standard" toilets...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Sewage smell in basement under 1st floor toilet [ 1 Answers ]

In our large unfinished basement a sewage smell that appeared for about the past 4-6 weeks. It localizes to the area immediately underneath the drain for the 1st floor toilet, although the drain pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom is only 12 inches away. There is mild staining of the otherwise dry,...

View more questions Search