Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dayvg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Can 1 two way switch control 3 separate switches each having 3 lights on each
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2011, 07:16 AM

If you mean a 3 way switch, you can have the switchleg from that 3 way, connect to 3 switches, then out of each switch to the 3 lights.
    If a single pole switch(2 screws), then out of the main switch into the new 3 switches, then out to each switches 3 lights.

Feb 2, 2011, 09:36 AM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    Thank you stratmando excuse my ignorance, I'll try again. We have 3 existing light switches each controlling 3 recessed lights. We were hoping to incorporate a light switch at the other end of the room whereby we could turn all nine off at once.

Feb 3, 2011, 10:50 PM
    Two way switching
    We have 3 existing light switches each controlling 3 recessed lights. We were hoping to incorporate a light switch at the other end of the room whereby we could turn all nine off at once.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 04:25 AM

Why the new thread? You have one going on this subject right here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ch-550399.html

Feb 4, 2011, 05:27 AM
    Comment on stanfortyman's post
    Hello Stan, son thought he could explain it better, 21 going on 50
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 06:42 AM

That can be done provided that the lights are on the same circuit (which they probably are.) And provide you can get a cable from the location where you want the switch to a point along the circuit cable before it splits off to the lights. That point could be at the switch box where the three existing switches are (assuming that the switches are all at the same location) or it could be at one of the lights in the ceiling.

However, if you turn them off at the new switch you will have to turn them back on at new switch.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 02:40 PM
    A couple of diagrams, but instead of going to the light as shown, it will feed each of the 3 switches. If 1 or all the switches are on, they will be controlled.

3 way Switch Troubleshooting - DIY

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing a dimmer switch for one light with two separate switches for it. [ 2 Answers ]

I want to dim the lights in a bathroom chandelier. The chandelier has candle flame type bulbs and two switches for it. Do I need to install a dimmer on each switch?

Free electrical daigrams 3 separate lights and switches on one line? [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for a diagram have 3 lights in kitchen and want to operate each separately with 3 switches

How to separate two lights and an exhaust fan from one switch? [ 1 Answers ]

I have one lightswitch that operates my hall light, the bathroom light and the bathroom fan. I want to separate all of these onto their own switches, with a timer on the fan. How do I do this?

How to wire 3 separate lights to 3 separate switches in series circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am running wire from the circuit panel to the ceiling in the kitchen, then to a switch, back to the kitchen ceiling light. I am using the same circuit to the same thing for the dining room light with a switch, and a light on my deck also with its own switch. The switch in the dining room and the...

Wiring multiple lights with separate switches [ 7 Answers ]

I am adding lights to my barn and have run ac to each light . I want to have a separate switch for each light and be able to use any or all at any time. Can you give me a diagram.

View more questions Search