Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guluoguawen Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 08:15 PM
    What is required for claiming education cost from a foreign university - tax return
    As I know, one need to obtain a 1098-T form from a US university to claim education benefit in filing US tax return. My child is studying in an European university. Anyone over there could advise what is required from a foreign university for the tax purpose?

Many thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 11:26 PM
    All you need is to PROVE that you paid the tuition, so a statement from the university's registrar should be sufficient.

However, you MUST make sure that the European university is an eligible educational institution. The university should know one way or the other.

Feb 15, 2011, 07:01 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert, Thank you very much for your answer.

Can you please advise me how to find out if the European university is an eligible educational institution?

Best regards.

Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 09:13 PM
    The university registrar WILL know one way or the other.

Feb 19, 2011, 05:46 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thank you very much again!

Best regards.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 10:13 PM

On 2010 tax return, tuiton and fee deduction is not there even with 1098-T.

For purposes of the tuition and fees deduction (was there in 2009), qualified education expenses are tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution.

An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary institutions. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution.
    Certain educational institutions located outside the United States also participate in the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 12:03 AM
    Glad to help!

Feb 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
    MukatA,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answers.

Best regards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Required to re-establish residency before claiming tax treaty as F-1 student? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, This question came up in a previous thread but remained unaswered: (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/visa-switch-j1-f1-undo-claiming-tax-treaty-308508.html#post1649585) I visited the US as a college student in the years 2006, 2007 and 2008 on two different J-1 visa (trainee/...

Claiming my child on the tax return [ 2 Answers ]

Dear All, My child has never been to US, but I am full year resident in the US. Can I claim my child as a dependent on my tax return? Thanks in Advance.

Claiming the Dependent on the Tax Return [ 2 Answers ]

Dear All - Could you please clarify the following: I am married and a resident alien of US for the TY 2007. During the TY 07, my inlaws have visited US on Visitor Visa and were here for a period of 9 months. They have fulfilled all the Qualifying Relative tests as prescribed by IRS. Can...

Tax Return and claiming refund [ 2 Answers ]

This is in regard to my filing tax return in US for year 2007 and claiming refund. I have come from India to US in Oct'07 under L1 visa for the first time. I work for USA company and get paid by them. The company have withheld tax (as per W2) for period Oct-Dec'07. As an.. fyi.. I...

Non resident alien foreign trust return required [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there Just wondered if you are able to help with two questions I have an investment account with a brokerage firm, where I buy and sell shares, receive dividends from US listed and non US listed companies (on the stocjk exchanges). My account was setup as a complex foreign trust with my...

View more questions Search