Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjmcminn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Dishcharge Line Overflow
    When my washing machine is through washing, the water is pumped out to the sewer discharge line which constantly overflows. I have put all kinds of cleaner in it to correct the problem but it hasn't. How can I eliminate this problem?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2007, 04:08 PM
    One of two things. The most likely is a partial clog in the washer drain line. Snake the washer vent from the roof. Put out enough cable to reach the base and about 20 feet more to get out in the main.
    The second is the capacity of the trap and standpipe. If you have a older house like I have with a 1 1/2" trap and stand pipe then the newer washer pumps put out much more pressure then they used to and that overloads the system to the point of backing up. You have two options if this is the case.
    Redo the trap and standpipe assembly to 2" or install a compression fitting,(see image) on the standpipe and prevent the discharge from backing up. That's what I had to do to my washer and it's been working for years with no backups or problems. Good luck, Tom
    DixieL Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcminn
    When my washing machine is through washing, the water is pumped out to the sewer discharge line which constantly overflows. I have put all kinds of cleaner in it to correct the problem but it hasn't. How can I eliminate this problem?
    Over two years ago I purchased a new Kenmore washer with a drain overflow problem. The old washer (only 5 years old) drained fine. Our drain pipe was 2 inches. We thought it was a clogged drain, but it wasn't. We had to temporarily have the gray water exit through the window. Yesterday it dawned on me that the old washer drain hose had a hard plastic "U" where it went into the wall drain pipe; the new hose did not. I went to the store and purchased a new hose with a "U" in the end. Evidently, besides helping the hose stay in the drain pipe, the "U" slows down the waterflow. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub overflow [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We live in a newly contructed home and the tubs have no overflow (hole or vent). Is this now common ? When showering tub will hold water (about 2 inches) then finally drain after 4 or 5 minutes into your shower time. Just seems weird. Thanks

Washer overflow [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My washing machine is overflowing from it's drain during the drain/rinse cycle. It also back flows thought the pipe and will partially fill the kitchen sink that is connected to the same drain line. The drain is 2" steel, and the house is about 50 old, a single story concrete slab and...

Overflow in A/C unit [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a house that has an interior a/c unit (electric heat pump) on each of the 3 floors of the house. In a previous house I had some wood floors ruined because the drain in the a/c unit plugged and caused water to leak from the unit. I wanted to know if it is possible to put an overflow...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search