Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stamperman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2005, 02:46 PM
    Washer overflow
    Hi! My washing machine is overflowing from it's drain during the drain/rinse cycle. It also back flows thought the pipe and will partially fill the kitchen sink that is connected to the same drain line. The drain is 2" steel, and the house is about 50 old, a single story concrete slab and connected to city sewage. No problems anywhere else in the house. I'm going to dump a drain cleaner in tonight and see if that helps. I tired running my 1/4 snake down it but because of the layout it is difficult to get it to feed and I've pretty much destroyed it. If the chemical clog buster doesn't solve the problem is a professional plumber my only choice?

Thanks!

Alan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2005, 07:54 AM
    Hi Alan,

"If the chemical clog buster doesn't solve the problem is a professional plumber my only choice?"

I'm no fan of pouring harsh chemicals down your drainage systen. Especially if you have a septic tank. Besides, they only work in TV commercials.
    Your 1/4" snake is only effective on small drain pipes.
    Rent a sewer machine and snake from the kitchen roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base of the stack and about 25' more. Cycle the washer to both test and flush any debris that may remain. Good luck, Tom
    Stamperman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2005, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Alan,

"If the chemical clog buster doesn't solve the problem is a professional plumber my only choice?"

I'm no fan of pouring harsh chemicals down your drainage systen. Especially if you have a septic tank. Besides, they only work in TV commercials.
    Your 1/4" snake is only effective on small drain pipes.
    Rent a sewer machine and snake from the kitchen roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base of the stack and about 25' more. Cycle the washer to both test and flush any debris that may remain. good luck, Tom
    Unfortunately the vent for this drain T's off the main vent line, going from the roof would bypass the side of the house with a problem. If I took out my water heater I could probably get the piping apart to run a snake down it, but that's even doubtful. I may just cust a section out of the vent, run the snake and then seal it with compression fittings.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2005, 02:08 PM
    Hi Alan,
    What material is the trap and stand pipe made of? Cast iron? Plastic? Galvanized?
    If you have a washer stand pipe and you can get to the trap You can cut the trap and standpipe out between the trap and the drain. Then send a snake ,(not a dinky 1/4" snake) down the washer drain. Put out plenty of cable ro make sure you get the clog. You may then couple the trap and standpipe back to the drain. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer Overflow Pan? [ 5 Answers ]

My home inspector suggested I put in a metal washer overflow pan in the laundry room. Where do I get this? Do they range in size? How do I know which one to get?? Thanks for any help!

Suds overflow from washer drain [ 5 Answers ]

This may actually be a washing machine problem rather than a pure plumbing problem but I'll float it here anyway. We recently replaced our aging washer and dryer. We are now experiencing overflow of soap suds from the washer starting near the end of the spin cycle. This was not a problem with the...

Washer machine overflow [ 2 Answers ]

Hi ! It appears that the washer machine overflows when the water valve is turned on. The machine itself is not even running when this happens. The water overflow is dirty.We have to leave the water turned off to prevent further flooding. We are not currently living in this house. It is a...

Whirlpool clothes washer-tub overflow [ 3 Answers ]

My whirlpool washer (about 8 years old) oerflowed last night. Apparently the water didn't automatically stop when the tub/basket was filled. We have an upstairs laundry and what a mess. Is this a simple thing to repair or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Unusual Washer Overflow [ 12 Answers ]

OK Im stumped. My washer is overflowing out of the drain pipe. I have snaked (30' worth) down the washer vent and down the sink vent. The unusual bit is it doesn't overflow all of the time. I can run 2 rinses in a row to try and make it overflow and it won't but my wife called today and said it...

View more questions Search