Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fah2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
    Electrical Panel location restriction, i.e. closet / storage room
    I am planning to convert my garage into a bedroom and the location of the existing panel is where I would like a storage room / walk in closet to be. My question is how big does a room have to be to no longer be considered a closet? Could a storage room / closet combination still contain a panel that maintains the 30 inch access restriction in front of the panel? In this case the room would be approximately 7' X 10'.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 05:09 PM

No. A clothes closet is still a clothes closet, no matter how big.

I suppose you could build a panel closet inside the w-i closet, as long as the proper clearances are met inside the panel closet, but IMO this would not be an efficient use of space.
    fah2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 07:07 PM
    Comment on stanfortyman's post
    Thank you for your input. I was afraid that it would boil down to this. I hadn't considered a panel closet... how big would that have to be... 3' X 3'? If it had it's own door and wasn't used for anything else would that be okay?

Jan 19, 2011, 07:52 PM

The inside dimensions would have to be MINIMUM of 30" wide (side to side, with the panel anywhere in that 30" space) and 36" deep (in front of the panel).

Jan 19, 2011, 07:53 PM

Although, this may still not fly with your local inspector. Best bet is to check first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closet Storage Area NEC 410.2 [ 10 Answers ]

I am sending an attachment showinh the side view of the description of the actual closet storage area. Do you agree? If not please detail why. Thanks, MWM

Can I build a closet around an existing electrical panel [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling a house. At some point the panel was moved out of the basement to the first floor, outside wall. The previous home owners had the panel in the back of a bedroom closet. We have removed all of the walls and are building back a bedroom and bathroom. We would like to build a small...

Service panel location and or re-location codes [ 8 Answers ]

I just built a new addition on my home, bigger than my existing home. I want to move the service panel from the old basement to the new basement, I would like to do this using the 4/0-4/0-4/0 aluminum service wire run in conduit, it is about 45 to 55 feet. What is the code on this? Also what is the...

Electrical sub panel in an adjoining room [ 10 Answers ]

I am planning on installing a sub panel in an adjoining room for a wood shop. I am planning on feeding the sub panel with a 100A breaker from my main panel. A friend told me that because the sub panel is in another room "out of sight" of the main panel it is required that another 100A "main"breaker...

View more questions Search