Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m.lawn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 02:36 AM
    No eviction notice
    I got hurt back in July of 2010 I broke my hip,fractured a lot of bones and 5% of left lung removed.Now the place I stay at is week by week rental now I've been here for almost 2 years now and kept up with rent until my accident.Its been 6 months now and could not pay rent and never was told to leave or gave an eviction notice.The owner had problems with the power and got it all turned back on except for us.Is that right for him to do?And what's the best thing for me to do about an eviction notice if I get one?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2011, 04:59 AM

No, it is illegal to withhold utilities. This constitutes an illegal eviction. However, being a weekly rental, he only has to give you one weeks notice to vacate. He can then file for an eviction order if you refuse to vacate.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Jan 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
    Scott is right. As far as what you can do, a lot will depend on the jurisdiction you are in, tenants in Massachusetts are aided by a very robust consumer protection statute that covers them and makes the eviction process very lengthy and difficult for landlords. Places like South Carolina and Alabama may not have quite so robust a protection for tenants. There are probably tenant's rights groups in your area (if you are in an urban area) that could probably provide much more specific information and potentially contact info. You can also look into disability groups (if you qualify) that could assist you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction notice [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 children and have not paid rent in 10 days in Florida how quick can I be evicted?

Notice of Eviction [ 2 Answers ]

I have served my tenant who hasn't paid me rent for three months now a 3-Day to Pay Rent or Quit Notice two days ago. Now he begs to stay for another month as he doesn't have a place to go. Now what do I do? He hasn't mentioned anything about at least paying me a portion. What action can I do...

Eviction notice [ 1 Answers ]

I have to move back into my home. It is currently rented by someone on housing assistance. How do I get back into my home? It is a matter of financial hardship.

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Eviction notice or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living in this house for 46 years with my mother, sister and brother. My beloved uncle decided to take over the house because the house needed repairs. He was approved for a second mortgage. Unforunatelly he passed away. My aunt became exceutive of his estate or so she claimed, Any...

View more questions Search