Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jabag11 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 11:43 AM
    Do you agree that the older you get, the faster time flies?
    I keep hearing this from people, and I'm just curious for those of you who are older, if you agree with this? That time didn't go by nearly as fast when you were younger..

And then after you state whether you agree, can you maybe say why you think that is?

I'm 19 and male
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Jan 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
    I think that humans are routine animals, its how we do things best, it allows us to psychologically accept the negative feelings involved in monotonous activities.

For example; If you make occupational choices that leave you spending the majority of your waking consciousness in a factory making the same object over and over again for 10 years, that 10 years might seem like a blur. The only bright parts you will remember are the few weeks of vacation time you get, in between months upon months of repetitive tasks.

A few catalyst's that can cause further opacity in this blurring of time conception is alcohol or drug use. If you spend the majority of your conscious time in a repetitive task, and the majority of your conscious time away from that task intoxicated, the time at which you have clear thought (or the frame of mind where time moves the slowest) becomes restricted to intervals when you eat, or when you are in transit.

Most people have a mindset that life is a footrace, when in reality the goal is to try to perfect running in place.

Limit your passive entertainment. Television ropes you in to watching millions of advertisements in between tacky television sitcoms that have more filler episodes than actual drama. It gets you hooked with some nasty smelling bait. Don't be a sucker. Watch movies instead, at least they have an ending, and weren't ended because they ran out of money.

Life is how you live each day, spend the majority of it doing what you want to do and time will go by nice and slow, and death won't feel like its sneaking up on you, its you who will surprise it when you greet it with a warm hug.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 15, 2011, 11:16 PM

Tough one that...

I researched and there are many perceptions as to why. This is the best I came across:

Why does time feel like it goes faster as we get older? - Quora

Stringer

Jan 17, 2011, 11:26 AM
    Comment on Stringer's post
    Thanks!

Jan 17, 2011, 11:28 AM
    Comment on Animus's post
    Ha wow, what an answer, what do you do for a living, are you a professor or something? I agree with your answer to the fullest
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Jan 18, 2011, 11:31 AM
    Comment on Animus's post
    I'm not a professor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

Looking for older Time Travel movie title [ 6 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie I watched on TV about 30 years ago. It's about a man that finds a way to time-travel back about 100 years. He meets a woman and starts talking to her about what's happened to him. I remember at one point, he hides a special key (it was ornate and unique) in a secret...

First Time Home Buyer Credit - What is faster Amending 2008 or claiming on 2009? [ 10 Answers ]

On 9/17/2009 I purchased my first home. I intend on filing an amended 2008 return to claim the first time home buyer tax credit using forms 5405 and 1099X. I am wanting to check on the estimated turn around time for receiving the refund (based on reality, not the IRS default answer). I spoke...

Older dog peeing all the time [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old choc lab. In the manner of 2 weeks, he has gone from healthy to having trouble getting up on his back legs. When we took him to the vet,he said our dog needed to lose weight and he would be okay (we agree he is overweight). But the past couple of days, he can no longer stand...

Why flies coming from under floorboards what flies [ 1 Answers ]

Have recently had a problem with sewage leaking under the house this caused my home to be infested with sewage flies had the sewage leak fixed and my floor boards ripped up the sewage removed and the area sanitised then the floor relayed had no flies for about a week but we are now getting some...

View more questions Search