Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebeccaboggs123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 09:22 AM
    Please help!. explain why an enzyme is specific in the reaction it catalyses?
    Please help me I am soooo confused :(
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2011, 09:48 AM

Could you tell us what you know about enzymes, so that we know how much we need to tell you?
    brunonair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 03:27 PM
    Where you cam from
    rebeccaboggs123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Well I don't no much only started the topic few days ago.. they are 3d and made of protein that about it really
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2011, 11:19 PM

Okay, so you know they are made of proteins.

Now those proteins, they have been made from different amino acids, controlled by genes in cells. The 3D shape that the enzyme will take, the different amino acids the enzyme contains will determine what type of reaction the enzyme can catalyse.

This is because the different substrates/products have different structures. Each enzyme has one particular structure for one particular substrate/product.

If there was another enzyme present, the reaction would most probably not be catalysed at all, because the latter enzyme has a different structure which doesn't 'fit' the substrate/product and hence cannot perform the process.

You might want to read about the Lock and Key mechanism of enzymes.

In this analogy, the lock is the enzyme and the key is the substrate. Only one particular key can fit in the lock, a different one won't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rates of chemical reaction:a clock reaction? [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose you were dissolving a metal such as zinc with hydrochloric acid.how would the particle size of the zinc affect the rat eof its dissolution?

Catalase enzyme [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Im Doing An Experiment On The Affect Of Ph On Enzyme Activity And The Enzyme Being Used Is Catalase. Ive Done Some Research And Found That The Optimum Ph Of Catalase Is 7 But Wen I Carried Out The Experiment It Was Found That Ph10 Produced Themost Bubbles Rather Than Ph 7. I Need Some Help...

Reaction Kinetics: Orders of Reaction. [ 2 Answers ]

I don't mean to be anal about this but I've recently stumbled upon this topic over the holidays and I'm thoroughly interested. What I fail to understand is Order's of Reactions with respect to & . Can someone give me a well concise explanation of this with a good example, say the decomposition...

Enzyme inactivation [ 2 Answers ]

I left Taq polymerase at room temperature for 1 hour by accident. Does anyone know if it will affect my PCR reaction?

View more questions Search