Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JDOP Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Mar 1, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Enzyme inactivation
    I left Taq polymerase at room temperature for 1 hour by accident. Does anyone know if it will affect my PCR reaction?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 10:39 AM
    According to Thermus aquaticus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it cannot survive at room temperature, I don't know if they die or just go inactive out of that range though.
    medgen Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Mar 5, 2007, 08:34 AM
    I have left Taq out for hours -- don't worry about it! I think it has a half-life of two hours or so at 95 degrees or something like that, so at room temperature it will barely suffer at all. In fact, in my old lab we left an entire rack of restriction enzymes out overnight and when we tested them the next day they all had 100% of the stated activity.

Sure, enzymes do lose activity at room temperature, but it is never as bad as some people think, especially when they are in storage buffer (i.e. 50% glycerol and associated salts).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trypsin enzyme theory [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Hey I'm kind of confused, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether the Trypsin Enzyme is more suited to the Lock-and-key theory or the induced fit theory?? :D Thanks

Enzyme activity [ 1 Answers ]

Does any one out there know about enzyme activity?. like the lock and key theory along with the induced - fit theory? :confused:

Enzyme lock and key [ 1 Answers ]

Explain the enzyme as a lock and key model. Be sure to use the terms active site, substrate, product, and reactants. :o

Enzyme Trypsin - biology [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on a course work on enzymes for my GCSE Biology. I need to know more about the enzyme Trypsin - can you please provide details of this enzyme's characteristics, how does it work and what does it do and when does it reach optimum activity in relation to temperature and pH?

View more questions Search