Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jan 14, 2011, 02:20 PM
    Fish fight
    For anyone who is interested in either watching the u-tube clip, signing the petition, or just discussing:

Hugh's Fish Fight - Half of all fish caught in the North Sea is thrown back overboard dead
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by QLP View Post
    For anyone who is interested in either watching the u-tube clip, signing the petition, or just discussing:

Hugh's Fish Fight - Half of all fish caught in the North Sea is thrown back overboard dead
    I would like to understand why they are disgarded? Size? Species? Regulation?
    This is too vague to just sign up without more information.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
    Already there ;)

You know why this happens, because the supermarkets firmly control what the customers can buy.

There was another show last year where some chefs where challenged to cook a banquet from, virtually, free food.
    Basically what the producers would throw out as the supermarkets refused to purchase it as it was not within their stringent specs.

It was a serious eye opener just how much food goes to waste directly from the producer.

Now overall there was nothing intrinsically wrong with any of this produce, it was either too big, too small, the wrong shade of colour or just plain odd that it didn't meet "standards".

Many years ago, The Body Shop discovered vast amounts of banananas where being dumped at sea for the same reasons, so they bought the lot and made one of their best selling lines, all from "junk" food..

It's about time WE, the customer, told the supermarkets, that we will no longer stand by and be force fed what THEY believe is "best" for us.
    Come on we want phallic veggies and mis-shaped fruits!!

Jan 14, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I would like to understand why they are disgarded? size? species? regulation?
    This is too vague to just sign up without more information.
    Badly drafted fish quota regulations combined with supermarket monopoly issues.
    The quotas are the main problem and it is illegal for the fishermen to do anything but throw the fish back.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...angeredspecies

The quotas regulate the amount of certain types and sizes of fish but not the overall catch hence massive wastage. In addition the regulations only apply to what is brought back to port; there are no restrictions on what is actually taken from the sea.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2011, 04:06 PM
    So in other words bureauracy gone mad?

Jan 15, 2011, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    so in other words bureauracy gone mad?
    As usual...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Why not to fight? [ 8 Answers ]

I had read a number of threads here and notice one thing: no one giving advice to fight for love in case if one of the couple is not in love. Almost all advices is about to left this person alone and find another one. I'm not saying this is bad. But I'm interested why is this? Is it just an economy...

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search