Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohveryworried Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2011, 07:59 AM
    Scottish Arrest Warrant
    I live outside the EU and have recently found out that I have missed a court appearance (that I knew nothing of) in Scotland (relates to prosecution for alleged benefit fraud). It has been postponed till 3 weeks time. I don't have the money to fly home and have been told that a warrant will be issued. The lawyer said this will be 'live' for two or three years but I don't know what he means by live and he won't explain. Does this mean it will go dormant after a time? Also, will this automatically be in effect in Europe? I live in a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Britain, can they do anything to me while I am here?
    I do not intend to avoid this but it will be sometime before I am able to return home due to money.
    THanks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2011, 08:05 AM

From what I read a warrant issued in Scotland never dies - I have no idea what your Attorney is quoting. Maybe by "live" he means it is actively pursued for only a number of years and then if the Police find you, they find you - but that's just a guess.

Anyone who runs your name will find the warrant - and that includes an airline and/or Customs/Immigration.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 08:06 AM

He means it is issuable for three years but can be extended. Eventually they will have Interpol after you to bring you back to Scotland. You are expected to appear, they don't care where you get the funds to fly back. Of course, if Interpol is involved then it is worse off for you. If I were you, I would do your best to get back for that court date to have it all settled and wrapped up no matter which way it goes.

Tick
    Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 08:08 AM

I do believe that Scotland Yard have one of the best recovery systems in the UK. They have ways and means for just about any situation.

Tick
    otty2hotty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
    My brother has a warrant out for his arrest for missing a court date in scotland where he lives, he is due soon to go on holiday flying from england, is it possible for hi to fly and return without being arrested as he is leaving from a different country?
    Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by otty2hotty View Post
    my brother has a warrant out for his arrest for missing a court date in scotland where he lives, he is due soon to go on holiday flying from england, is it possible for hi to fly and return without being arrested as he is leaving from a different country?
    Please start your own post; this is not an unusual question and you will not get a quicker answer by tagging onto an existing thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A few questions about arrest warrant/search warrant in Ontario, Canada [ 12 Answers ]

If there is an arrest/search warrant issued for you, what address do they raid? (as in how do they find out where you live... driver's license?) Say for example, you moved out of your parents home and live by yourself... are they allowed to raid parents home (previous address)?

Is There A Warrant For My Arrest In Tennessee? [ 4 Answers ]

Boyfriend had a domestic incident he pled guilty to in Tennessee because he was told it would be in court for over a year and his father was ill so he got misdomeanor probation and skipped the state. My question, is there a warrant for him in Tennessee as he never met the terms for probation...

Checking for a warrant for my arrest [ 5 Answers ]

How do I check to see if I have a warrant

Warrant For Arrest [ 4 Answers ]

Can the police in Ont, CAN put up a warrant for your arrest, if they SUSPECT you for theft over $5000?

Arrest warrant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a warant for "failure to appear on suspended license. Can I fly to another state{S.C.} without being arrested at the airport in detroit ?

View more questions Search