Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    burns802002 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 04:11 PM
    Rottweiler
    My 16 month old Rottweiler is marking his terrirory in the house. In the same spot, I haven't caught him ever in the act and when I show it to him he cowers and runs outside. He is house broken and has a dog door. He is not neutered and has a 5 yr old retriever as a friend. The golden has live here for 6 months now.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2011, 04:16 PM

Please get him neutered. That's why he's marking his territory, to be alpha over the younger dog. And please do not scold him or push his nose in it -- he honestly doesn't understand what he did. (As far as he knows, what he did is perfectly fine and natural!) He just knows you are angry, thus he cowers and runs outside.

Dog experts will show up and will advise you further.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:09 AM

Nope WG, your answer was perfect.

He needs to be neutered, that will help tremendously. I had an entire male here who used to mark in the house, he even marked on my bed on a regular basis.
    He had the snip at about 12 months of age and we haven't had a problem since.

I'm not saying it is a miracle cure, most dogs still require training but it certainly will help.

When you find the pee and show it to him he does not understand, he wouldn't even realise you are showing him the pee, like WG said all he understand is you are angry and being mean to him for no reason.
    When mine have accidents I just calmly clean it up and spray an enzyme product on the area.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 11:17 AM

If you don't catch him in the act he has no idea what you're talking about.

Why does he cower from you? Do you strike him?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 12:22 PM

I don't hit my dogs, at all, but they know when they have done something wrong. Dogs know that the mess in the house is bad and upsetting you, but not the actual act of doing it. They can pick up on emotions even if you aren't expressing yourself by hitting or yelling. If he is not neutered, he will continue to mark his territory, especially seeing as there is a new dog in the house.

Is there some reason you haven't neutered? Your dog will be much happier and healthier after being neutered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rottweiler weight [ 3 Answers ]

My Rottweiler is 6 months old today and she only weights 43 lb. Is this normal? From blogs on the website they s/b approx. 66 lb. My vet was not concerned when we brought her there for a complete check up after we got her home.

Rottweiler puppy [ 19 Answers ]

We just got a 8 weeks old rottweiler puppy and I have a question about feeding him. I got Purina puppy food and it says on the back that X-Large breeds (100lbs+ when fully grown) should be getting 4 1/2-5 1/2 cups of food per day 2-3 months of age.. is this right? Seems a lot..

Rottweiler Questions [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently brought our wonderful Rottie puppy into our home. He is extremely well behaved, but he sleeps a lot... I mean a lot. He is constantly tired. Is this because he is growing so fast, or is there possibly something wrong. He has had a clean bill of health from the vet, but it...

How old is my Rottweiler? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the age of my new Rottweiler. We just adopted her yesterday from the animal shelter in town. I absolutely love her because she is just about the nicest and cutest dog I've seen in my life. The problem is that since she was a stray that was found wondering in the county,...

Skinny rottweiler [ 3 Answers ]

I just got an 11 month old female rottweiler and she is very skinny. The last owner said they wormed her. I didn't see any worms in her poo and I noticed it's a little soft, not runny though. She doesn't act like she's starving at all. What should I do?::(

View more questions Search