Ask
    timmshouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 03:17 AM
    Do I need to un plug my water heater if the relief valve need to be change
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 04:46 AM

Hi Tim...

This being an electrical appliance with water I'd have to say that yes, it is a good idea to unplug the water heater when doing any kind of work on it.

If the relief valve inserts into the top of the water heater then you really only need to shut off the water and drain the water to just below the relief valve and remove the old T&P valve and install the new one, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some previous experience with electrical/plumbing, OK?

If the T&P valve inserts into the side then yeah, I'd shut the electrical off and then do the job. I would not plug the unit back in until the T&P valve was replaced, the water heater was filled with water and the air was cleared from the hot water system through the faucets in the house.

Good luck...

Mark
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2010, 04:48 AM

timmshouse, to change the TPR valve, you should turn off power or shut-off the gas to heater, turn off the water, drain the tank to a level below the tpr valve and then make the change. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater leaking from relief valve [ 4 Answers ]

My relief valve started leaking so I changed it . No help, change it again thinking I might have got a bad one. Still leaking even with no heat. I turn my pressure regulator down think maybe the pressure was to high now there is hardly and pressure out of the faucets in the house but the vavle...

Water heater relief valve dripping [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old gas water heater that was originally installed with a tank expansion unit. Last fall, the relief valve started to leak occasionally so I had the relief valve replaced. The leak still occurred and I would dump a bucket once every couple of weeks knowing that I would soon have...

Can I plug outlet of dripping water pressure relief valve [ 1 Answers ]

The Wilkins water pressure relief valve at the inlet to the house supply is dripping. Can I safely plug the outlet where the drips are flowing, until I replace the entire valve? Is the valve strong enough to hold pressure once it is plugged?

Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve [ 1 Answers ]

Private Message: Water heater pressure relief valve Today, 06:15 PM Kenvirani New Member Join Date: May 2008 Posts: 0 Water heater pressure relief valve --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pressure relief valve / water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaking valve on my waterheater , do I need to replace pressure valve , if so what is correct way of doing so ?

View more questions Search