Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lavanga Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Russian/US citizen selling a property in Russia tax implications
    I am a US citizen of russian origin. I am selling my ancestral house in russia for about $350,000. Due to Perestroika we all got properties from communists into ownership for free. There is no way to calculate capital gain. Can I claim that this is my primary home? I have lived in the States for last 10 years, but always rented, never owned the property. How to fill out Schedule D in that case? What should I do to minimize tax implications?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 02:39 PM
    HOW did you get ownership, via gift or inheritance?

Also need to know WHEN title was transferred.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Your tax basis is likely zero unless you have made improvements to the property. Show the full amount of proceeds as long term capital gain. You cannot claim an exclusion.

Dec 22, 2010, 07:46 AM
    Dear All Thank you for your responses. To answer questions about the ownership. The privatization papers that were transferring property from the State in equal shares to me, my grandma and my dad are dated in the late 90s. Then my gran died and my father was in the process of inheriting her part of the property when he died. Now I owned 1/3 of the home and recently (1 month) came into inheritance of the rest of the shares. Full title of the ownership dated in the recent days, but what about privatization then?
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 03:16 PM
    I agree with IntlTax; the basis IS probably zero, and the proceeds will be reported as long-term capital gains. Depending on your income level, you will pay 5% or 15% in capital gains tax.

Dec 23, 2010, 01:21 AM
    Thank you very much for all your help!
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Russian citizen can keep tripple citizen as bangladeshi, british and russian? [ 1 Answers ]

Russian citizen can keep duael citizen as brish and russian?

Russian F-1 Student. Federal Tax Exemption based on the US-Russia Tax Treaty? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a Russian graduate student who was in US on an F-1 visa since 2005. In 2005 I had a fellowship, later in 2006 I became a Graduate Student Researcher (research assistant). That paid my tuition and a monthly stipend. SHORT VERSION: For years 2006, 2007 I claimed full refund of...

US citizen marries J1 visa holder joint filing and Fica tax implications [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US citizen. I married last June 2008. My wife originally entered US on a J-1 Visa as a scholar in 2007 and filed taxes as nonresident for that year (NR1040). So for 2007 and 2008 no FICA taxes were deducted from her pay check. Now 2009 she is paying FICA. If we file a joint return for 2008...

Sale of property (land only) in the Philippines by a US citizen. Tax implications? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My retired mother is selling her real estate property (land only) in the Philippines. She needs the money to support herself. As a US citizen, does she have to pay income or capital gains tax in the US? How can she bring the proceeds from the sale to the US? If she needs to pay US tax,...

Tax implications of selling multi apartment building bought over 50 yrs ago [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Is there any way to minimize the tax burden attached to selling a multi apartment building with commercial space on the ground floor in a high value area of New Jersey? I'm wondering if my parents sold their own home and moved into one of the units if that would help any. We're...

View more questions Search