Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariz888 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Sale of property (land only) in the Philippines by a US citizen. Tax implications?
    Hi,

My retired mother is selling her real estate property (land only) in the Philippines. She needs the money to support herself. As a US citizen, does she have to pay income or capital gains tax in the US? How can she bring the proceeds from the sale to the US? If she needs to pay US tax, what is the best way to handle this so she pays the least? Advise. Thank you!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 13, 2009, 01:04 AM

A U.S. citizen or resident must report worldwide income. So you will report this sale on schedule D (Form 1040). If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

May 13, 2009, 07:18 AM

The very most your Mother will pay will be 15% tax on the gain (assuming she held this land for more than 1 year).
    It appears the tax rate in the Phiippines is 6%
    See:Bureau of Internal Revenue Website
    She can claim this as a foreign tax credit as described above by MukatA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entry for purchase and sale of property for sale [ 5 Answers ]

I purchase an apartment for $ 1.7m and paid first instalmment of 250k ,Before the second installment I sell the apartment at the value of 1.9m .Please tell me how to record the journal entry .

US citizen marries J1 visa holder joint filing and Fica tax implications [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US citizen. I married last June 2008. My wife originally entered US on a J-1 Visa as a scholar in 2007 and filed taxes as nonresident for that year (NR1040). So for 2007 and 2008 no FICA taxes were deducted from her pay check. Now 2009 she is paying FICA. If we file a joint return for 2008...

US Citizen Marriage to girl in Philippines [ 6 Answers ]

I am over 21 and when I was there, I met a girl in the Philippines who is 16 now. We want to marry, and we know it is not permitted in Philippines even with parents consent. Her Parents love me, and want us to get married. It is legal in my State of New Jersey to marry with parents consent. We have...

Refinance Income Property/Tax Implications [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a 12 unit apartment building in Los Angeles for 1.25M in 2005. Subsequently, I spend 100K in legal expenses, labor and materials to improve the overall income and value of the building. Currently, I am working on a refinance to pull out approximately 300K in equity to complete the...

Tax implications of stock sale [ 1 Answers ]

My parents were joint owners of a large amount of 1 company's stock. My Father died this year. We all agree with my Mother that reducing risk by liquidating some of this amount and putting it in a safer, more diversified instrument(s). Is there an advantage in selling some of this in this year(of...

View more questions Search