Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quacker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 09:15 AM
    Can hair testing reveal a one time alcohol use of 6 drinks?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2010, 07:03 PM

In theory Hair Alcohol Testing (HAT) could detect a one time use of six drinks. I doubt that it would. There are several types of HAT tests. One looks for EtG in hair. Another looks for EtG and FAEE and yet another for EtG/EtS and FAEE.

EtG has a history of being detectable only in regular (not infrequent) drinkers and, even then, is greatly reduced by regular hair washing. The metabolite EtS is produced in smaller quantity than EtG and usually not detected in moderate drinkers. FAEEs usually rise above the level of detection after the consumption of 7 or more drinks within the period of a week. NOTE: I am using the standard for a drink being 1.5 oz of liquor, 12 oz of 5% beer or 5 oz of wine. In real life, beer is about the only beverage containing a standardized amount of alcohol per drink. Poured drinks may be more or less than the standard.

Generally, in the US HAT is looking for EtG in most cases. The UK has now adopted the dual EtG/FAEE test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcohol Testing [ 8 Answers ]

I just found out I have to be tested next Wednesday. What is the difference between the different testing methods? How far back will they be able to tell I've had a drink? I have no plans to go on a Tuesday night bender, but I do have the occasional social drink (1-2 drinks once or twice a week,...

My husband drinks alcohol when I'm trying to get pregnant! [ 4 Answers ]

Need your advice, is it okay if my husband drinks beer or alcohol when I'm trying to get pregnant? If conception happens during this time, I'm afraid it will harm my baby.

Alcohol testing by hair strands [ 3 Answers ]

Does alcohol show up in hair samples

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

Hair alcohol testing [ 3 Answers ]

Can alcohol be detected in a hair test? What is the time limit for alcohol on an EtG test?

View more questions Search