Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yvtteczzi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 12:31 AM
    Hi, I receive a letter from a collection agency from Victoria.
    It says I owe about 6,000 to Staples.
    I don't remember ever purchase anything from there. But about 6 years ago I had few creditcards and I think a Staples card. I was living in Ontario with my husband.
    I didn't know too much english or knew the banking system because I never had a credit card before in my life, until I came to Canada, My husband got them for me. I was working some part time jobs.
    My husband got ill in 2006 with a serious mental illness and months later he killed himself in 2007
    I end up in a deep a depression, unable to work I just stop working and flu away from ontario to avoid memories.
    Little by little I am racovering and I am in BC working and raising my son. (no pension no insurance.. nothing).
    I imagine that my husband may be bought something in staples and used my cards, because my bank told me I have a bad credit report with some "writte off" debts.
    One bank contact me months ago asking me to pay one line of credit. Which I did.
    Now a week ago I receive the collection for "Staples". I have no money to pay. I reaserch on the internet an I found out about the statute of limitation. The debt... if really exist, was in Ontario but the collection is in BC. Ontario limitation is 2 years but BC is 6 years. Can they sue me because the limitation in BC is 6 years?
    I hope I explaned myself good enough.
    Thank you for your time.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued by a collection agency, received cert letter 9/22 [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do, I never received any correspondence that I know of until yesterday. 1. Is it to late to ask for validation of debt? 2. Should I call them? 3. The summons said I have 35 days from what date, the date I signed for the letter or the file date?

How do I write a letter to a collection agency about a claim against me. [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued form a collection agency I have never heard of and I want them to send me information on this account or claim they have against me.

Collection agency sent check back with letter [ 5 Answers ]

I received a notice from a collection agency around the 3rd week of Feb. 2007. It stated that they are attempting to collect a debt. They stated who it was for and the amount it was for. I did realize that I owed this. On March 2nd I sent them a check for $100 along with a letter saying that I...

Statute barred collection agency.. Draft letter [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Canada Bonded Credit Limited recently some how got hold of me. They are trying to collect on a debt which came into effect on Jun22, 2004. According to the Ontario Statute of Limitation, they can no longer collect on this. I wanted to send them a letter to "validate" the debt. Can anyone...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.