Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anita_6 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 06:07 PM
    Caulking cracking around new installed tub
    Had my bathroom renovated this summer. Had a ceramic tub installed and 1) I have replaced the caulking 3 times. It is Dap Acrylic Latex Caulk. I now have Mono Ultra bath and kitchen. The guy installing the tub filled it with water but the caulking was put on after. I thought I should put water in it and stand in it, that way water plus body weight will hold tub down. If caulk is wrong kind please give tips.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2010, 06:14 PM

Don't use DAP. It's crap. (not to rhyme). I use GE Silicone Bath and Kitchen - the most expensive GE Silicone you can buy by GE. It's about $6 a tube at Wallyworld. I've used it in my bathroom for years and it does not crack or peel or turn color from the original white. Whoever told you to use DAP caulk needs to be slapped on the rearend hard a few times by me.
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2010, 06:15 PM

And please do not put water in the tub and sit in it to weight it down! Don't use the tub or shower for at least 24 hours after you apply the caulk so it can properly cure!!
    afscme Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Dec 14, 2010, 07:41 AM
    I highly doubt the caulk is the problem, especially if you had to replace it three times since summer. No caulk breaks down that fast. GE and DAP are both good products-just make sure you use a silicon based type made for bathrooms.

That said, it sounds like there is some tub movement which is causing the problems with the caulk. The movement may not be visible to the naked eye, but there should be no reason to fill the tub or stand in it to weight it down when applying the caulk. What happens when you drain the tub or step out of it? The caulk will not hold the tub in place. A properly set cast iron tub will not move. The new light weight steel tubs should be anchored to the framing studs if the tub design permits it, or it should have been embedded in a mortor base. Water weighs appx. 8 lbs per gallon, and say 40 gallons in the tub is 320 lbs, more than enough to cause the tub to move if not properly set.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 07:55 AM

I agree, DAP makes a good product and this problem is caused by movement, not bad caulk. Did you pay someone to do this remodel, if so, call them back and complain about the movement.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2010, 02:11 PM

Anytime I've ever used DAP it peeled, cracked, shrunk, etc. Anytime I've used the GE silicone it did not skrink, peel or crack.

I've even used the "wonderful" DAP crap on my gutters outside. All it did was skrink and crack the first few months in the summer that I applied it. I recaulked with the GE caulk and now for over 3 years my gutters outside have never cracked or skrank and it's been well below zero here in the winter.

It's the caulk - not the tub "wriggling" around in it's base. Try the GE bathroom caulk instead and it won't peel or crack on you (or discolor either) unlike "wonderful" DAP crap.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 02:14 PM

Not saying GE is bad but I use DAP Kwik Seal Plus and all my plumbing projects and never had shrinkage or cracking.
    afscme Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Dec 14, 2010, 07:09 PM
    The OP said DAP was used first, & it was replaced by Mono Ultra bath and still having a problem. That leads me to believe it's not the caulk. I've used GE silicone and it is a good product. Strong and hard to tear, however IF there is tub movement it will eventually loosen this caulk also. What's missing is that the OP only says having a problem with the caulk.. what type of problem? Separating at the wall?; at the tub?; not adhering?; knowing that would help in trying to pinpoint the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub caulking [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, I have caulked tubs along the wall many of times in my life. But, I have never had this problem. The caulk even after curing for 36 hours seems to melt after just a couple days. I becomes liquid again, just as if it was out of the tube. I am so confused. It is a jacuzzi style tub with tiled...

Caulking the tub [ 1 Answers ]

We used Dap Kitchen and Bath Adhesive Caulk. We let it dry for two Days. But it washes off. Is there something better, that will be pliable Yet firm enough to stay put?

Caulking tub tile [ 3 Answers ]

Yesterday, I replaced the caulk in one of my bathtubs. I thoroughly removed the old caulk and cleaned the surface well. I had a unopened tube of DAP Kwik Seal kitchen and bath adhesive caulk, so I used it. However, it does not seem to have any silicone rubber in it because it is not flexible when...

The sanded caulking I'm using keeps cracking as it is drying [ 1 Answers ]

I've recently redone the tile surround of my tub. I have purchased the matching sanded caulking for the corners and such. (by the way what a pain and mess to deal with). I can't seem to get it all to dry without cracks. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Also, is there any...

Caulking a New Tub Surround [ 1 Answers ]

I just finished installing a 5-piece tub surround kit. I applied a 1/4" bead of adhesive around the edges of the corner panels before attaching it to the two side panels. However, after drying, there is still a small gap between the corner panel edge and the side panels. The attached...

View more questions Search