Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tav582 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Caulking tub tile
    Yesterday, I replaced the caulk in one of my bathtubs. I thoroughly removed the old caulk and cleaned the surface well. I had a unopened tube of DAP Kwik Seal kitchen and bath adhesive caulk, so I used it. However, it does not seem to have any silicone rubber in it because it is not flexible when dry. This is what I want. Should I remove all the caulk I just applied or can I go over it with a silicone rubber version? There is plenty of space for another layer of caulk as I wanted it thicker anyway. Thanks in advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 08:58 AM

Dap Kwik seal is perfect for this application. Unless you have a defective tube of caulk you should be just fine. Any chance of a picture? I am concerned with your description, if you already caulked there should not be room for more caulk. Either the gap is too big or your first caulk job was too sparse.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Apr 7, 2009, 05:33 PM

I would never caulk over existing caulk. Ballenger is right, unless the caulk is defective you may have misjudged the amount of caulk you needed. A couple of years ago I made the beginner's mistake of grouting against the tub. Well, that didn't last too long. So I had to remove the grout and that left a nice size gap to caulk... and I needed A LOT of caulk.

If you actually do need more caulk I would pull out what's already there. Then use blue painter's tape to set the boundaries of the caulk. Add caulk and smooth with a damp finger. You may need to do this twice if you needed a lot of caulk. Then remove the tape and go over the caulk one more time with a damp finger.
    deano bambin0 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 11:22 PM

Use 100% silicone... mold and mildew resistant. It will say this right on the product. Caulk will not hold up and will turn black over time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub caulking [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, I have caulked tubs along the wall many of times in my life. But, I have never had this problem. The caulk even after curing for 36 hours seems to melt after just a couple days. I becomes liquid again, just as if it was out of the tube. I am so confused. It is a jacuzzi style tub with tiled...

Is tile bullnose baseboard installed before or after floor tile? [ 8 Answers ]

My porcelain tile comes with a bullnose that I want to use as the baseboard. I found a response to another question, stating that the floor should be installed first, but I want a grout line between the floor tile and the baseboard, it would be very hard to make it uniform if the floor is...

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Caulking vs grouting [ 4 Answers ]

I just set 50 large (8"x 10") tiles on the upper back wall over my fiberglass shower unit. These tiles go along the top (to the ceiling) and down along the sides to the floor. The will not come into contact with direct water. (hopefully) I had planned on mixing grout that would have matched my...

Cleanest method of merging between tile & drywall/tile & tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there guys, I'm drywalling my tub enclosure, preparing for tile, and I've got two questions before I continue: 1) In the past, I've simply placed the rockboard/drywall line about two inches below the terminating line of tile. Is this the best way to handle this? Do you simply bevel the...

View more questions Search