Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Piccsweety Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Finishing a Basement
    Approximately how much will it cost to finish a basement on our own, with an added 1/2 bathroom, laundry room (not counting the appliances), a small wine celler, and a living area? I realize that a lot will depend on the quality of products that we use, but I was just wondering an average range. Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 12:49 PM
    You may want to describe the plumbing, what you have and will need in the plumbing forum. If you have to cut the floor to add drains or add a pump, it will run the costs. Some washers are more suitable for elevated discharges you may need.

If the breaker box is already in the basement, the electric service shouldn't be much of a problem as long as it isn't overloaded. Budget for GFIC outlets.

Before you start, I would meticulously seal up every possible air leak, the band joist, pipes and wires going through side wall and ceiling, etc. Warm, moist air can follow pipes and wires clear up to the attic wasting energy and creating condensation problems.
    Total Basement Solutions Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Piccsweety
    Approximately how much will it cost to finish a basement on our own, with an added 1/2 bathroom, laundry room (not counting the appliances), a small wine celler, and a living area? I realize that a lot will depend on the quality of products that we use, but I was just wondering an average range. Thanks!
    I recently got a new position with one of the many Total Basement Solutions Companies nationwide as an installer. The system is mold, fire, flood and stain resistant. The COST is approx. 1/2 the price of building a room addition and much cheaper and time efficient than building the basement conventionally. The Basement completion system is aesthetically superior to anything I’ve seen so far. But, needless to say its been very rewarding working with TBS and thought I’d let you know.

P.s. the website is Total Basement Solutions, basement remodeling, basement finishing, basement system, basement finishing dealerships
    Check it out it's a very inovative product.:)
    lavenus34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 11:41 AM
    My basement is finish I would like to extend the other side like the side if my house I would like to know if I can do that I wants to make like a play room
    Duppy Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Depends on your square footage. I'm currently doing about 1200 square feet. Was one large room that I'm splitting into an exercise room, 3/4 bath, and one large room with wet bar and split carpet and tile. The following are estimates only.

Lumber for framing 16" centers: $1200
    Electrical wire: 500 feet 12/2 $160
    250 feet 12/3 $80
    500 feet 14/2 $120
    250 feet 14/3 $ 60
    Wall boxes: $50
    Outlets/Outlet Covers/Switches/: $150
    4 Ceiling fans: $800
    Bathroom Vanity Light $100
    Bathroom Vent/Light $100
    200 ft Coax $50
    Coax Wall plates $50
    1000 ft Plenum/Cat5e $200
    Cat5 Ethernet/Phone Outlets $150
    Can Lights $100
    Drywall 5/8 for ceiling $400
    Drywall 1/2 for walls $800
    Insulation $300
    12 3x5 cement board $100
    15 4x8 greenboard $175
    150 sq/ft cork floor $750
    500 sq/ft tile $2000
    800 sq/ft carptet $3500
    70 ft copper tube $70
    shower fixtures $200
    Vanity $400
    Toilet $300
    PVC/elbows $50
    6 panel doors $100
    louvred doors $200
    ducting $100

So if my quick math is right $12,800. To contract it out your looking at between 30-50k.

Of course this isn't all inclusive. Not to mention all the tools I had to buy. Compressor, framing gun, finish nailer, new drill, multimeter, coax tools etc... The little things will nickel and dime you, plus it depends on how much your time is worth to you. You're going to be busy for a loooong time.

Hope this helps.

Duppy

Edit:Bah just realized this post was from January. That was a lot of typing for a post that's not going to get read.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Mar 24, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Materials for 400 sf
    Good 2500
    Better3500
    Best 5500

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement finishing [ 17 Answers ]

I am in the early stages of laying-out my basement plans. There is a rough-in for toilet and shower, but not where I want the bathroom to be. I would like to move the rough-in pipes about 10-12 feet from where they are now for my ideal basement plan. I've done a lot of DIY home pprojects, but...

Basement finishing systems [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experiences or opinions with Owens Corning Basement Finishing Systems? It appears to be a quick alternative to standard studs and drywall, if you don't mind the paneled wall effect. Does anyone have any ideas on costs?

Basement Finishing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm starting to finish a basement that is 15' high. Where the bathroom is at will only be framed 8' with a sheetrock ceiling and a plywood floor above that for storage. My question is will the walls of this bathroom be considered load bearing? And can I get away with 2x6 joists spaced 16" above?...

Basement finishing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm going to be working on finishing part of my basement to include installing a bathroom. I am wondering since the floor is concrete do I need to install some sort of sub-floor (example: bathroom tile or vinyl-and other room carpet) or will all materials work on the concrete? Thanks for...

Finishing Bath in Basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - My builder roughed in a bath in the basement of our recently constructed home (2 yrs. Old). I've almost finished the basement, and need to complete the bath. I'm no plumber, but I'm pretty handy and have glued my share of PVC in the past. I'm hoping you can help me through the process! ...

View more questions Search