Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Dec 10, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Basement Finishing
    I'm starting to finish a basement that is 15' high. Where the bathroom is at will only be framed 8' with a sheetrock ceiling and a plywood floor above that for storage. My question is will the walls of this bathroom be considered load bearing? And can I get away with 2x6 joists spaced 16" above? Span is about 13' with another wall between or should I use 2x8's?

Thanks for any input
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
    It depends what you store above the bathroom. If you think it will be crammed with heavy boxes o' junk, go with the 2x8's at 13'.

Depending the width, you can put a 2x6 doubled upset beam to cut the total in half then you can use 2x6's @ 6.5' each.

Example: if your bath is 8' wide, install an 8'7" (rest beam on wall plates) half way down the 13' span. So instead of using 13' long joist, your using 6'6" lengths joist hangered into the beam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing Basement - 8' or 9' Sheetrock? [ 4 Answers ]

Am taking the plunge and finishing my basement, have just started. You may see me on this board with many questions to come... First is the size of drywall to buy. My ceiling is 9' tall to the joists with at least 1' of this holding pipes, electrical, duct work, etc. Have definitely decided on...

Basement finishing [ 17 Answers ]

I am in the early stages of laying-out my basement plans. There is a rough-in for toilet and shower, but not where I want the bathroom to be. I would like to move the rough-in pipes about 10-12 feet from where they are now for my ideal basement plan. I've done a lot of DIY home pprojects, but...

Basement finishing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm going to be working on finishing part of my basement to include installing a bathroom. I am wondering since the floor is concrete do I need to install some sort of sub-floor (example: bathroom tile or vinyl-and other room carpet) or will all materials work on the concrete? Thanks for...

Finishing basement bathroom [ 17 Answers ]

When we built our house three years ago, we had the basement roughed in for a bathroom. I had talked to the plumber at that time about what would need to be done in the future, but alas have forgotten completely... :) Attached is a picture of the rough in prior to pouring the basement floor. ...

Finishing Bath in Basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - My builder roughed in a bath in the basement of our recently constructed home (2 yrs. Old). I've almost finished the basement, and need to complete the bath. I'm no plumber, but I'm pretty handy and have glued my share of PVC in the past. I'm hoping you can help me through the process! ...

View more questions Search